Campus theft can be prevented by locking up

Safety Tip of the Week:
Yes, you can help stop the most frequent type of crime on campus.
First, you need to know that the biggest crime problem on campus is the theft of unattended and/or unsecured property.
Unbelievably, theft of small personal property that is left unattended, in unlocked rooms or offices or placed in unlocked lockers accounts for between 50 and 80 percent of all crime on campus from month to month. This is your biggest crime vulnerability on campus.
You have exposed yourself to this if you have:
Left a wallet on your tray at the cafeteria while you get something,
Walked away from your backpack while you order food at the Food Court,
Left your laptop computer on a desk at the library while you take a study break (thieves don’t care about shutdown and storage – they grab and go!),
Gone to sleep with your door unlocked,
Left your door unlocked when you took a shower, went to class or any other time,
Didn’t lock your car when you park (how much was that parking permit again?).
The police do not know the guy walking down the street is carrying your backpack; he just looks like any other person with a backpack. Therefore, you can avoid becoming a victim by removing the opportunity for a thief to get your property. Remember, lock it or lose it!

10:50 a.m. 6200 San Amaro Dr.
Attempted Abduction
3:32 p.m. 1101 Stanford Dr.
4:19 p.m. 1111 Memorial Dr.
Vehicle Theft
8:26 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
Grand Theft

3:54 a.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr.
8:36 p.m. 1320 Campo Sano Ave.
Grand Theft

8:57 a.m. 5501 San Amaro Dr.
Petit Theft

5:50 p.m. 5500 San Amaro Dr.
Strong Arm Robbery

1:00 a.m. 5185 Ponce de Leon
7:45 p.m. 1252 Memorial Dr.
Petit Theft

2:06 p.m. 5638 Merrick Dr.
Criminal Mischief
10:13 p.m. 1239 Dickinson Dr.

The Hurricane is currently working to improve Police Beat by working with Coral Gables Police Department.
For more information on crimes and crime prevention, contact Public Safety at 284-6666.

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...