CHOP THIS: ‘Canes silence critics, FSU with 22-14 victory

Amid the mud, the rain and a thick rivalry, the ‘Canes gave FSU their first defeat of the season (and their fourth straight loss to Miami) this weekend, despite the fact that the ‘Canes went into the game as six-point underdogs.

“When we missed that first field goal wide left I thought we were done,” Hannah Sampson, sophomore, said. “But then we pulled through.”

Doubters were everywhere, although few would admit it before kickoff.

“I thought they were going to lose,” Diego Meza, freshman, said. “They really surprised me.”

According to fans, the doubts were largely based on this season’s performances of both teams.

“After seeing how our season has been, especially the West Virginia game, and seeing how FSU dominated every game they’ve played, I didn’t think this was going to happen,” Thomasz Modzel, senior, said.

The West Virginia game haunted many ‘Canes fans who wondered if it was possible to beat the then fifth-ranked team on the road when they were barely able to beat an unranked team at home.

“I didn’t think that we were going to win,” Kelly Leng, freshman, said. “When we play better teams we play better.”

Others agree with Leng.

“When we want to play good we can, but sometimes we just don’t,” Rachel Cope, freshman, said.

Some students found themselves caught up in the excitement, despite not being interested.

“Some people didn’t really care,” Andrew Maiorano, sophomore, said. “A lot of us hide under the guise of caring because it’s easy to get sucked in.”

And sucked in they were.

“I bet that one out of every three people that were screaming in the halls were only screaming because everyone else was,” Maiorano said. “But, hey – screaming is fun.”

If FSU was the first battle that Miami faced, then the rain was the second, leading to countless turnovers and hydroplaning.

“If I’m not mistaking, we weren’t going to be playing in the swamp this year,” Alex Cardenas, junior, said.

Despite the swimming pool-like conditions, UM swam by like a seasoned fish.

“Given the conditions, our game was just better,” Cardenas said.

“The only part of the game that I watched was the last 12 seconds, so I was pretty happy,” Dan Mannina, freshman, said. “We are going to keep playing like this and become national champions.”

In the end, the rain fell, the ‘Noles fell and so did the doubts.

“This game taught Miami fans to always have faith,” Cristina Suarez, junior, said.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...