IS THIS IT?

Students brace for UM/FSU nail-biter.
Category 5 plans to take students up to Tallahassee

Walking through campus, one may feel the tension in the air as the threat of defeat on everyone’s mind gets closer with this weekend’s football game against arch-rival Florida State University [FSU] approaching.

The ‘Canes season has been exciting thus far, with some close calls and surprise endings, which makes the normally hyped FSU game all the more highly anticipated.

“I’m from Florida, so I’d heard about the FSU/UM rivalry all my life,” Kari Hiers, freshman, said. “But I’m not going to the game. I can’t handle that kind of stress on my nerves.”

Since both teams are from Florida, the players from different teams often know each other and have personal rivalries to motivate them, making this game’s stakes higher for some players than any other.

A combined 33 players from Miami and Florida State attended high school together, six schools of which are located in the Dade/Broward area.

With officials expecting FSU’s Doak Campbell Stadium to completely fill its 82,300 seats, some students are worried about security for the game.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, assures students that their safety and comfort is ensured for the game.

“A number of students will be traveling with the University or on their own. Regardless, the same policies and procedures apply to behavior at FSU that would apply to the Orange Bowl,” Whitely said. “We hope many students make the trip to FSU to cheer on the ‘Canes. They definitely deserve our support.”

Student Affairs and Category 5, the Student Government spirit programming committee that works to improve campus spirit and attendance at athletic events, are transporting a group of UM students to the game this year.

The package includes three days/two nights hotel, bus ride to and from Tallahassee, a game ticket and a T-shirt.

“The Category 5 trip is a really good deal. It’s cheaper than I could have done it with my friends, and less hassle,” Pete Jacobs, junior, said. “I’ve never been to an away game. It’s going to be a different experience.”

Some students are disappointed that such an important and exciting game will be held at FSU this year. The FSU/UM generally alternates stadiums each year and was played at the Orange Bowl last year.

“I’m disappointed that I can’t go,” Kris Smith said. “But I’m gonna watch the ‘Canes faithfully on TV.”

Faith in the ‘Canes is what many students say they want to show in the stands during this game especially.

“UM students need to have faith in our team and support them through the last minutes of the fourth quarter,” Jennifer McGrath, junior, said.

“No one should leave the game early when we’re down or boo when one of our players makes a mistake,” Danielah Gautier said. “We’re a fourth quarter team this year, but we’re still undefeated!”

Even faculty members understand the need to show support for the ‘Canes this year.

“This is a crucial game for sure,” Whitely said. “Four staff members from our Student Affairs office will make the Student Government trip.”

Kick-off is scheduled for tomorrow at noon. ABC will televise the game and WVUM will also broadcast the game, with student commentators Jeremy Marks Peltz and Jesse Agler giving a play-by-play.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby@umsis.miami.edu

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...