HURRICANE HEALTHWATCH

Dear Hurricane,
My friends and I have seen posters on campus for free flu shots. I also have a professor encouraging my entire class to get flu shots. I thought only grandmothers got flu shots. I’m a young, good-looking and healthy college student. I didn’t think I was old enough to get a flu shot or that I should even worry about the flu. Also, don’t flu shots made you sick?

Signed,
Healthy in Hecht

Dear Healthy,
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control, anyone older than six months is eligible to receive a flu shot. However, you will find many grandmothers waiting in lines for the vaccination. Senior citizens, as well as people with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease or immune system disorders are at high risk for influenza-related complications and strongly advised by their physician to receive a flu shot.
As for college students, it is just good sense to get a shot; hence, your professors encouragement. Once exposed to the flu virus, whether in class, a student organization meeting, residence halls/apartment or walking through the UC, a student becomes susceptible to becoming sick.
One to two weeks of fever, aches, chills, headaches, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, etc. is enough to potentially throw off anyone’s grades by making one miss classes and possibly miss exams. Sometimes the flu can develop into something more serious, such as pneumonia. Therefore, flu shots provide peace of mind, as well as protection against flu.
Years ago, flu shots were made of flu serum. Providers gave a small amount of the virus, causing a mild form of the flu and resulting in immunity. Those sensitive to the virus may have experienced some symptoms of the flu. The modern, injectable vaccination does not contain any live flu virus. The vaccination is cultivated inside of eggs; therefore, individuals with allergies to eggs or chicken may have a serious reaction from a flu shot. Sometimes individuals experience arm soreness or even a little swelling, but it should not interfere with normal activities.
The Student Health Center’s Annual Flu Shot Road Show is free for students ($1 United Way donation is suggested) and accessible throughout campus. The Student Health Center organized clinics in various locations on campus. Students are welcomed at any clinic, regardless of the location. Thus, a clinic held in the Mahoney/Pearson classrooms is actually open to any student, not just residents of Mahoney or Pearson Residential Colleges.
Flu shots also are available in the Student Health Center throughout the semester. The remaining dates of the road show are as follows, and additional dates may be added if requested:

Monday, Oct. 13
UC-Breezeway
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 15
UC-Breezeway
11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Thursday, Oct. 16
Wellness Center-Atrium
5 to 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Oct. 29
Wellness Expo/Wellness Atrium
5 to 7 p.m.

For more information on flu shots, visit the Student Health Center’s flu shot web page at www.miami.edu/student-health and click on the “Flu Season” link.

Sincerely,
Sisy Noal

Sisy Noal is a sophomore majoring in biology. She works part-time in the Student Health Center.

To submit a question or concern that you would like Hurricane Health Watch to solve, please email um_newspaper@yahoo.com.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...