Get the Marriage Message: Abstain from abstinence

I love that MTV show “Newlyweds” with Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. I think that show has all the potential to turn into a new show I call, “Guinness Book of World’s Worst Divorces.”

It’s not that the idea of abstaining until marriage is a great idea, but it really isn’t all that practical. What happens is that two young people marry because they are almost desperate; the love really isn’t there. If you don’t believe me (Like So Many Out There), then ask yourself: “Aren’t you basing the marriage on sex?” Do you mean to tell me that Nick Lachey was like a bull charging at the Jessica bullfighter? A marriage is a system of checks and balances. My parents used to be romantic before they realized that after a while that you have to live with each other. Plus, my grandparents now say that marriage is the only war in which you sleep with the enemy! That happily-ever-after statement is a crock. Life can be long and nearly to the idea of pointlessness.

Now I don’t really know that much, I guess I can be an idiot, but don’t you need physical exposure to someone else before you actually know that you are in love, instead of being just a walking erection? I still have a hard time believing that sex is the only way for true love. Doesn’t emotional love and loyalty count? I don’t think that a physical connection will ever prove your loyalty, just ask Kobe Bryant. Sex is just a five-second orgasm, that’s it. It was meant for procreation and very fleeting enjoyment. I would like to think it’s something else, but it isn’t. What exactly are you proving to the world by basing your marriage on something that really doesn’t matter after a while?

And yes, there are consequences such as diseases and unwanted pregnancy and all sorts of mental and physical problems. I can see that. But somewhere in between promiscuity and abstinence, I think these hard-core abstainers ought to know that there can be a compromise.
One last question: “If sex is advertised in TV and clothing, and people try and look exceptional for each other, and the pornography industry is a multi-billion dollar a year regime, then how could two beautiful people who just watch these off-beat and inconsistent romance movies that do include infidelity actually think that they will only have sex with each other for the rest of their lives?”

Seth Bleicher can be contacted at sethbleicher@yahoo.com.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...