Yach emerges as leader of Hurricanes’ offense

There are not many athletes in today’s world that gain more out of a particular sport than simply wins and losses. For Lindsay Yach, the sophomore forward of the women’s soccer team, soccer reflects her entire life.
Yach grew up in Carrollton, Texas, a town just north of Dallas. It was there that she started to play soccer in elementary school. Ever since she was young, Yach has played for the people around her, and has never thought otherwise.
In high school, Yach broke the team record for most goals scored in a single season. She also was a part of the Dallas Sting, a soccer club that competed all over the state. The Sting changed coaches every two years, which allowed Yach to receive different coaching techniques and advice. Because of this, her Texas style of play became more versatile, which helps even today being on a team that features many different styles of play.
Although she is grateful for having her overall game improve during this time, Yach illustrates this is a minuscule point when considering how the coaches helped her define her character.
“The [soccer]club helped made me who I am today,” Yach said.
Yach’s biggest inspiration in soccer comes from a person who transcends off the field and into her daily life. She attributes much of her soccer success to her father.
“He’s like having a personal trainer or coach,” Yach said.
Yach emanates a greater understanding in soccer that exceeds beyond the sport and all of athletics into the basic principles of life.
Yach arrived at the University of Miami last year. Growing up in Carrollton, Yach noticed the lack of variance in style.
“You see a lot of the same [soccer]styles [in Texas],” Yach said.
When arriving at UM, Yach found out that every player had a different style that worked.
“I chose Miami because it was far away from home, it was by the beach, and the team chemistry,” Yach said.
As a freshman for the Hurricanes, Yach was second on the team with 19 points, including eight goals and three assists. In ’02 Yach tallied two game-winning goals and already has a game-winning goal this year.
“I was just at the right place at the right time, it really is because of my teammates,” Yach said.
At the end of her freshman year with the ‘Canes, Yach was named to the Big East All Rookie Team, a feat that she feels made her want to play harder.
At the start of the 2003 season, Yacht wants to take her game to the next level. She doesn’t want to merely score more points, hoping to become a stronger all-around player.
“I want to improve and make an impact in every game,” Yach said.
Yach feels the team will further improve due to a new formation head coach Tricia Taliaferro has prepared.
“The new system is easier to learn…and will be more successful in the future,” Yach said.
Yach currently leads the team with 14 points on the season, including six goals and two assists. The Hurricanes are currently 6-4 after a 3-1 win over No. 10 Connecticut.

Spencer Weinkle can be reached at

CLASS ————Sophomore
HOMETOWN——-Carrollton, TX
HIGH SCHOOL—-Creekview
HEIGHT————5 feet 5 inches

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...