SPORTS BRIEFS

Cross Country
University of Miami sophomore Alex Brutvan was the Hurricanes’ top finisher at the Great American Cross Country Festival in Cary, NC.
Brutvan finished 67th completing the 8,000-meter course with a time of 27:18.20 marking the third consecutive meet this season in which he has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher. The 22 team field included 10 nationally-ranked teams and 154 of the top runners in the nation.
Miami freshman Tom Berry continued his strong first season finishing 98th with a time of 27:58.20.
The men’s cross country team returns to action on October 11 at the Disney Invitational in Orlando, FL.

Volleyball
The University of Miami volleyball team downed Big East foe Seton Hall, 3-0 at Walsh Gymnasium in South Orange, N.J. on Saturday afternoon.
The Hurricanes improved to 11-4 on the season and capitalized on 14 service errors by SHU to sweep the Pirates in three games and earned the victory in the conference opener.
“This was a great win for us over a very good Seton Hall team,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “Valeria Tipiana and Elizabeth Tyson were strong for us attacking the ball and Jamie Grass turned in another great performance. Seton Hall had won five straight home matches up to this point. It was a big win to start the conference 1-0 and a great win on the road.”
Tipiana led the Hurricanes with 14 kills, posting a .313 hitting percentage and Tyson turned in nine kills for a team-high .381 hitting percentage – the junior’s second highest this season. Grass totaled 13 digs on the day while senior Leyre Santaella Sante collected 13 kills.
The Pirates Katherine Whitney and Jenna Meyers each had a match-high 18 kills to lead SHU.

Men’s Tennis
The Miami men’s tennis team had another strong showing winning four-of-five singles matches in day two of the Gator Fall Classic in Gainesville, Fla. Saturday morning.
The Hurricanes faced Mississippi State in the hidden dual tournament hosted by Florida.
Miami came out flat losing both doubles matches before an impressive singles performance from the team.
“I am very proud of the way the guys responded when they were challenged by the coaching staff,” said head coach Bryan Getz. “They didn’t get down after doubles play they came out in a strong positive manner in singles.”
Tim Krebs continued on the winning path at No. 1 singles beating Joses-Carlos Pinto in straight sets 6-4, 6-1.
Eric Hechtman beat Luiz Carvalho 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot, while Colin Purcell downed Florent Girod 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles.
Newcomer Jonathan Ounjian won his third match in a row beating Matt Armstrong 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...