SG Senators campaign for votes, amend constitution

During the week of Sept. 22, the Student Government senators running for re-election anxiously campaigned to win the votes of their constituents. Throughout the senators’ weekly meeting, many looked around the room, hoping it would not be their last meeting of the school year as a senator.
During the meeting, Senate amended the SG constitution, all sections pertaining to the Cabinet. Senators also sent out congratulations to the four students ratified as elections commissioners: Jessica Yates, Thomas Baumer, Annette Ponnock and Monica Gomez. Their role in SG will be to oversee the elections by publicizing, creating elections packets, managing all voting sites and making sure rules are followed by candidates during campaigning.
Next week SG will encompass a new group of senators so make sure to find out how to contact your senator via the Student Government website.
Also during the meeting, senators passed a bill to allocate $500 to SpectrUM for their biggest event of the year, Coming Out Week 2003: “Celebrating the Colors of Diversity.” The money will directly support the presence of their guest speaker, Rachel Robinson from the MTV Road Rules series.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Meredith Friedman can be contacted at m.friedman@umiami.edu.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...