SG Senators campaign for votes, amend constitution

During the week of Sept. 22, the Student Government senators running for re-election anxiously campaigned to win the votes of their constituents. Throughout the senators’ weekly meeting, many looked around the room, hoping it would not be their last meeting of the school year as a senator.
During the meeting, Senate amended the SG constitution, all sections pertaining to the Cabinet. Senators also sent out congratulations to the four students ratified as elections commissioners: Jessica Yates, Thomas Baumer, Annette Ponnock and Monica Gomez. Their role in SG will be to oversee the elections by publicizing, creating elections packets, managing all voting sites and making sure rules are followed by candidates during campaigning.
Next week SG will encompass a new group of senators so make sure to find out how to contact your senator via the Student Government website.
Also during the meeting, senators passed a bill to allocate $500 to SpectrUM for their biggest event of the year, Coming Out Week 2003: “Celebrating the Colors of Diversity.” The money will directly support the presence of their guest speaker, Rachel Robinson from the MTV Road Rules series.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg, stop by the office in UC 214 or call 305-284-3082. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@umiami.edu.
Senate meetings are held every Wednesday from 4 to 6 p.m. and are open to the public.

Meredith Friedman can be contacted at m.friedman@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...