NEWS BRIEFS

Hearing Panel seeks members

Would you be interested in sitting on a Disciplinary Hearing Panel? The UDHP hears cases for minor violations of UM policies to which the student pleads Not Guilty. Panel Members are responsible for ascertaining a student’s guilt or innocence of the charge(s) and have the authority to assess penalties according to the 2003-04 Student Rights & Responsibilities manual. If you are a full-time undergraduate with a minimum 2.0 GPA and in good disciplinary standing you can apply. Applications are available in Building 21-E, or call 305-284-5353 for information.

Flu vaccines available for free

Flu season is here. Protect yourself and those you love by getting the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is available free of charge at the Student Health Center and will also be available for free ($1 United Way donation suggested) at several sites on campus during the next several weeks. Please visit the Student Health Center web site at www.miami.edu/student-health for times and locations.

Student receives PR scholarship

Heather Solomon, co-president of the PRSSA, was recently awarded the 2003 Ev Clay Scholarship, which annually awards three scholarships, in the amount of $2,500, to outstanding public relations students.

Latino fraternity protests merger

Lambda Theta Phi, the nation’s oldest and largest Latino fraternity, announced that it will begin staging rallies, conducting letter writing campaigns and holding lectures across the country in opposition to the proposed merger of Univision and the Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation. The organization believes that the merger will mitigate the responsiveness of Spanish language broadcasting to local communities and eliminate Hispanic ownership in Hispanic media. With this announcement, the fraternity’s 80 college chapters, including one at UM, join a contingent of Congressional representatives, the Hispanic American for Fairness in Media, the Consumer Federation or America, the Spanish Broadcasting System, the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors, the United Latino Find and other groups to block FCC approval of a merger that will monopolize 70 percent of Spanish-language advertising revenues in the US by creating a TV, cable, music and internet conglomerate. For more information check out www.lambda1975.org.

Aguirre earns UM Order of Merit

UM President Donna Shalala honored Diario Las Americas publisher Horacio Aguirre with the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit. The University of Miami Board of Trustees established the University’s Distinguished Order of Merit in 1957 as a means of recognizing notable achievements of outstanding individuals. Past recipients of this merit include Maya Angelou, Bob Graham and Luis Botifoll.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...