art review: BLACK FLAG AND RED, WHITE AND BLUE

The intricacies underlying American history are the driving force behind the American Short Stories exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art in NoMi.

Raymond Pettibon and Saul Steinberg may cater to different audiences (the former commenting on the underbelly of society, while Steinberg deals with the urbane culture’s sentimentality), but their techniques are the same: utilizing graphic illustrations in a narrative from. Each piece is structured so that they are self-contained stories, always trying to get at the ephemeral theme of living in America.

Pettibon’s characters appear in a brutal reality, where Batman prays that the city is safe for a night, Gumby wishes he was high art, Jean Harlow turns into a werewolf on her wedding night, and George Washington wonders, “Why do I always get stuck with the old, ugly prostitutes?” There is no affection for his youth and the hippie sentimentality of the ’60s; he exposes their duplicity and naivet

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...