NEWS BRIEFS

SCHOOL OF NURSING RECEIVES DONATION
The Hospital Corporation of America, East Florida Division, has awarded $500,000 to the School of Nursing at the University of Miami. These funds will support the Student Affairs Suite in the new M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, the $19 million, state-of-the-art facility scheduled to open for the fall semester of 2004. Endowed by a generous $5 million gift from Ted and M. Christine Schwartz, the M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education will house all of the faculty and students under one roof for the first time in the school’s history. The four-story, 53,000-square foot facility will offer approximately 400 students each year the highest quality in nursing education and provide a home to a growing cadre of internationally renowned nurse educators and researchers. Designed by the Miami-based architectural firm Bermello, Ajamil & Partners, the facility will include high-tech classrooms and seminar rooms, over 50 faculty offices, clinical practice labs featuring the latest technology and a computer center. Entire wings of the Schwartz Center will be devoted to innovations in teaching and learning as well as research labs for cutting-edge nursing research.
ORANGE BOWL COLLECTION NEEDS HELP
The United Way Orange Bowl Collection is scheduled for the UM vs. West Virginia football game on Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. The Orange Bowl Collection is the annual student fundraiser with all money raised going to United Way. Over 250 volunteers are needed, so all support is greatly appreciated. All volunteers receive a free T-shirt! If you have any questions, call the Volunteer Services Center (UC 240) at 305-284-GIVE.
FANTASY FEST WITH MTV
Are you going to Fantasy Fest this October in Key West? Want MTV to follow along? If so, contact them at ultimatepartyshow@mtvstaff.com.

CONSTRUCTION ALERT
Now through the end of November, road construction will be occurring on Dickinson Drive. The northbound lane will be partially barricaded on a daily basis during the construction. Flagmen will be directing traffic around the barricades to allow continuous access at all times. For more information, contact Orlando Bomnin at 305-284-6749.
FESTIVAL MIAMI IS ON ITS WAY
When is a festival more than a festival? When it’s Festival Miami! Produced by the School of Music, Festival Miami has entertained audiences with a dynamic and diverse range of musical performances. But beyond these popular performances, which present extraordinary guest artists together with UM music students and faculty, the Festival provides important educational enrichment. Visiting artists conduct special master classes with UM music students and faculty, and these unique learning opportunities are open to the public. As part of Festival Miami’s 20th Anniversary Celebration, which runs until Oct. 25, William Hipp, Dean of the School of Music, extends an invitation to all who are interested in attending any of these special master classes. For more information and schedules of the master classes, please call (305) 284-3941.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...