Hechtman called upon to lead inexperienced Hurricanes

A coach always enjoys having experienced veterans to rely on for leadership. Head Coach Bryan Getz is looking to sophomore Eric Hechtman to assume this role.
Hechtman earned 22 wins as a freshman and posted a 15-4 record in doubles play.
Sitting on top of the Big East at the end of last year was great for the team, but Hechtman has personal goals as well.
“I’d like to get to the NCAA championships at the end of the season,” Hechtman said.
Hechtman learned a lot of valuable things as a freshman that he hopes to put to use in the 2003 campaign.
“You just have to stay mentally tough the whole time,” Hechtman said. “And of course pull for your team.”
The men’s tennis team has one of the longer seasons of any program at UM. The squad only has two months off in between the fall and spring seasons. Hechtman has to keep that in the back of his mind all the time.
“It’s real tough because there’s no real off-season in tennis,” Hechtman said. “You just have to stay really tough out there all year”
A native of Miami, Hechtman attended Sunset Senior High, where he led his team to three state championships in four years as the team captain. He also was given All-Dade County honors in each of his four years. When he was 18, he was ranked No. 28 in the country by the USTA.
The physics major considers one of the greatest tennis players in history as his idol.
“Pete Sampras is my favorite player because he’s just the most talented,” Hechtman said.
As far as this year’s squad goes, Hechtman thinks that they have the talent to duplicate last season’s success.
“So far we’ve got a limited amount of players,” Hechtman said. “But we’ve all got a lot of heart so we’ll be able to pull it together and do well.”
Hechtman’s choice of UM was made easy for a couple of reasons. The obvious being that he is a Miami native and the other is that his uncle is an orthopedic surgeon for the school.
“There were some other schools after me, but I felt that Miami was really the place for me,” Hechtman said. “Good weather, close to home, and the girls all made it easy to choose.’
Hechtman is all about being a team player.
“I don’t really have a greatest moment in my career,” Hechtman said. “For me, when our team goes out there and wins a match, it’s a great moment.”
Hechtman has the utmost respect for his coach Bryan Getz.
“I thought he did an excellent job as an assistant and I’m sure he’ll do the same as the head coach,” Hechtman said.
The ‘Canes opened up the season this past weekend at the UM Fall Classic. On Friday, Hechtman won his No.1 singles match 6-4, 6-3. On Saturday and Sunday he won his No. 2 doubles matches while paired with Josh Cohen.
The ‘Canes will return to action this weekend at the Florida Invitational in Gainesville.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...