SPORTS NEWS BRIEFS

Volleyball
The University of Miami volleyball team swept Jacksonville, 3-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Florida State Classic in Tallahassee, Fla.
With the win, the Hurricanes improve to 9-4 on the season and wrap up their final preseason tournament. Jacksonville falls to 1-9 on the season.
The Hurricanes started off strong in the first game, opening with a 10-4 lead. Miami continued to roll, leading by as much as eleven points at 28-17 before overtaking JU, 30-21 to win the first game.
The Dolphins would regroup in the second game, upping UM 9-7 early in the game. JU extended the lead to three at 11-9 until Miami tied the game at 12-12 on a kill by freshman Francheska Savage. Jacksonville bounced back to lead the Hurricanes, 16-14. Not to be outdone, Miami scored five straight points to take a 19-16 lead over the Dolphins. The two schools would swap the lead until the Hurricanes edged JU 30-28 to take a two game advantage going into the third game.
Miami opened the third game with an 11-3 lead. The Hurricanes would not allow JU to within six points, leading by as much as 13 at 26-13 on their way to a 30-17 win to seal the victory.
Savage had an outstanding performance for the Hurricanes with seven kills on 14 attempts, along with three blocks. Junior outside hitter Valeria Tipiana turned in a team-high 12 kills and senior Leyre Santaella Sante had 11 kills and four blocks for the Hurricanes.
Tipiana and Santaella Sante earned All-Tournament honors for their play at the FSU Classic.
Miami will return to Coral Gables to face in-state rival Florida International at the Knight Sports Complex on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m.

Tennis
The men’s tennis team wrapped up day two of the UM Fall Classic Saturday afternoon winning all three doubles matches and a singles match at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Tim Krebs teamed with Colin Purcell to beat Chris Gostek and Michael Green of Alabama 8-1 at No. 1 doubles. Eric Hechtman and Josh Cohen defeated F.J. Schofield and Kevin Obletz of FAU 8-6 at the No. 2 spot, while Luis Manrique and John Hoyes II beat Mauricio Paiz (FAU) and Joseph Jung (Alabama) 8-4 at No. 3. Purcell was the only Hurricane to win his singles match beating Mauricio Paiz of FAU 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 singles.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...