Shaken, not stirred: The truth about Greek mixers

It’s that time of year again. Greeks everywhere, old and new, are sporting their best themed clothing to get together and “mix.”
“Mixers are a great opportunity for people to meet others within the Greek community and relax in a comfortable setting,” said Dave Fenster, chair of the Association of Greek Letter Organizations [AGLO].
Greek Gossip went out to explore what happened this weekend as Greeks hopped on the “Homey Express” bus and had a night of fun.

Friday night:
Zeta Tau Alpha and Lambda Chi Alpha began getting ready to party like it was 1989 on South Beach.
“We were very ’80s in South Beach. It was quite a site,” Callie Simon, new member educator for ZTA, said.
Meanwhile, in Coconut Grove, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Zeta Beta Tau dressed to impress for an all-out “Stoplight” mixer, where singles wear green, those dating someone wear yellow and those who are spoken for wear red.
Part of the festivities included a karaoke sing-along.
“Karaoke can spice up anything – it is the key,” Lauren Stevens, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, said.

Saturday night:
The women of Sigma Delta Tau and the brothers of Sigma Chi gathered for an athletic themed mixer.
Concurrently, the sisters of Delta Delta Delta and brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon gathered to save the day as the “Emergency Mixer Patrol.” Guys and gals donned their best ER-inspired garb and danced the night away while cheering the ‘Canes on to a 33-14 victory.

Sunday afternoon:
New members rose out of bed to attend BANG! Bringing Awareness to New Greeks, the new member symposium education program presented by AGLO. Already in its sixth year, the program is designed to help new members adjust to their new lives as Greeks.
“We put a lot of planning into [the symposium]to make it more interactive and interesting for the new Greeks,” Natasha Garrett, president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, said.
If you have any gossip-worthy news, contact greekhurricanes@yahoo.com. Greek Gossip will run in every Tuesday issue of the paper.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...