Shaken, not stirred: The truth about Greek mixers

It’s that time of year again. Greeks everywhere, old and new, are sporting their best themed clothing to get together and “mix.”
“Mixers are a great opportunity for people to meet others within the Greek community and relax in a comfortable setting,” said Dave Fenster, chair of the Association of Greek Letter Organizations [AGLO].
Greek Gossip went out to explore what happened this weekend as Greeks hopped on the “Homey Express” bus and had a night of fun.

Friday night:
Zeta Tau Alpha and Lambda Chi Alpha began getting ready to party like it was 1989 on South Beach.
“We were very ’80s in South Beach. It was quite a site,” Callie Simon, new member educator for ZTA, said.
Meanwhile, in Coconut Grove, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Zeta Beta Tau dressed to impress for an all-out “Stoplight” mixer, where singles wear green, those dating someone wear yellow and those who are spoken for wear red.
Part of the festivities included a karaoke sing-along.
“Karaoke can spice up anything – it is the key,” Lauren Stevens, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, said.

Saturday night:
The women of Sigma Delta Tau and the brothers of Sigma Chi gathered for an athletic themed mixer.
Concurrently, the sisters of Delta Delta Delta and brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon gathered to save the day as the “Emergency Mixer Patrol.” Guys and gals donned their best ER-inspired garb and danced the night away while cheering the ‘Canes on to a 33-14 victory.

Sunday afternoon:
New members rose out of bed to attend BANG! Bringing Awareness to New Greeks, the new member symposium education program presented by AGLO. Already in its sixth year, the program is designed to help new members adjust to their new lives as Greeks.
“We put a lot of planning into [the symposium]to make it more interactive and interesting for the new Greeks,” Natasha Garrett, president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, said.
If you have any gossip-worthy news, contact greekhurricanes@yahoo.com. Greek Gossip will run in every Tuesday issue of the paper.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...