SG discusses parking spaces, Homecoming

During last week’s meeting, Student Government Senate allocated money to the Mr. UM contest for Homecoming, ratified four elections commissioners and heard reports from all standing committees.
Senators had the opportunity to speak with Chuck McConnell, director of parking and transportation. He explained the new measures being taken to ensure that those who have classes over in the new Ponce Garage add-on will be able to make it to and from class on time.
McConnell also explained the current status of the parking situation on campus. He mentioned that quite possibly in the future pending the appropriate funds, the Pavia garage could have two additional floors built on to it.
As for the parking space sizes in the Memorial Building and the School of Communication lots, McConnell confirmed the fact that some of the spaces do not comply with the Coral Gables section 33 zoning ordinance which states:
“A regular parking space shall mean an area of not less than 171 feet with a minimum width of nine feet, and minimum depth of 19 feet, which is specifically designated for, and used for, the parking of an automobile or light truck.”
Until other parking issues are resolved with the city, however, the spaces will not be changed. McConnell affirmed during the meeting that he and his department have the best interest of the students in mind.
If anyone has any complaints, problems or concerns, inform your SG senator and he or she will contact the proper individuals.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Peter Groverman can be contacted at stalemelon@aol.com

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...