Krebs leads UM tennis

Krebs has high hopes for tennis
Sophomore leads defending Big East champions into battle

The men’s tennis team will be very happy to have sophomore Tim Krebs back this year. Krebs went down with an awful injury last season in which he tore almost everything he could in his ankle.
“One of my biggest goals for this season is to just stay healthy,” Krebs said.
The team has a long season ahead of them, and Krebs knows better than anyone that it is a must to stay in shape.
“My injury last year was an accident,” Krebs said. “If we get stretched all the time and make sure we’re healthy, everything will be ok.”
Krebs is from Eschborn, Germany, where he was a state champion his senior year, leading his team to a 9-0 record. Tennis is different in Germany than it is here in the United States.
“The guys here play with more emotion,” Krebs said. “In Germany, we just play tennis to play the game; players don’t have the same anger they have here.”
As for this season, Krebs thinks this team has the right stuff to go places.
“The team chemistry is awesome so far, so I’m not worried about that,” Krebs said. “Playing-wise we’re all pretty good, we’re not bad.”
With the hiring of Head Coach Bryan Getz, the team is very excited to have the former interim coach at the helm this year.
“We had him as an assistant here last year, and he’s just awesome,” Krebs said.
Some may think that coming to Miami from Germany is a little far-fetched, but Tim’s reasoning is just as good as those who come from only a few miles away.
“I love this city and I love the program here,” Krebs said. “It is a great balance between academics and athletics.”
Tim had many choices when it came to picking schools to play tennis. San Diego State, Wake Forest, UCF, and Nebraska are just a few that were after the No. 7 player in Germany when he was a junior.
Like many tennis players, Krebs says his favorite player of all time is Pete Sampras. Krebs has won many tournaments throughout his tennis career, but has no plans on going pro until he has earned his college degree. Krebs hopes to maintain the success he had in Germany while here in Miami.
“The greatest moment of my career so far would be the state championship back in Germany,” Krebs said.
The ‘Canes know that they have to work hard in practice to get back to where they finished No.1 in the Big East last year.
“Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we work out for four hours,” Krebs said. “Tuesday, Thursday, and some Saturday’s we’ll work out for three to four hours.”
Miami opened up its season this past weekend in the UM Fall Classic. They defeated NC State in their first match on Saturday. Krebs won his singles match in straight sets, and emerged victorious in his doubles match with Colin Purcell in No. 1 doubles action.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...