Join this frat because we, uh, well, we drink… a lot

I’ll admit it. I’m a lowly freshman. In the past three weeks, I’ve managed to adjust to my new life full of dining hall delicacies and communal bathrooms, but one aspect of student life continues to baffle me. What is the appeal of binge drinking?

Let me preface this seemingly overly judgmental editorial with something: I have no problem with social drinking whatsoever. Believe me, I have my own share of drunken memories. Where I come from, alcohol is not usually the main event planned for the evening; while there may be alcohol at a party, there tends to be other things going on, such as music, conversation and even dancing. Although I don’t drink at all anymore (for a variety of reasons), I’ll be the first one to say that being a little tipsy can certainly make such a night more enjoyable.

With that said, I cannot conceive why anyone would, night after night, drink for the sole purpose of being so utterly trashed that you puke, pass out and don’t even get the chance to laugh about it with your buddies the next day because none of you can remember a damn thing! I am not attempting to dictate how you should live your own life. So long as you don’t actually puke on me, I couldn’t care less what you do. I am simply curious as to why people drink to the point that they’re incapable of having (what I would consider to be), any kind of fun? Granted, once in a while you drink too much and end up sick, but after a few times, wouldn’t you realize your limits and know better? Apparently not.

I’ve never had the privilege of being around so many otherwise promising individuals than those at UM. The very first Friday night of the semester, a certain fraternity member pitched his house to a bunch of guys that I was with: “We have binge drinkers here. Join this frat because, we, uh, yeah, we drink a lot here.” If that’s not an incentive, I don’t know what is. Along similar lines, I’ve met individuals who purposely drink too much so that if they happen to hook up with several random guys in the span of twenty minutes, they have a ready-made excuse in the morning.
If anyone has any insight regarding this truly perplexing behavior, feel free to enlighten the rest of us.

Alicia Kelman can be contacted at Bubbles356@hotmail.com.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...