Aesop Rock’s got the tortuous rhyme skills: L&A interviews him at the Hudson in NYC

People just don’t get NYC’s Aesop Rock. His muddled lyrics and somber tales of the metropolitan jungle often bewilder listeners. If you can get over his dense, bassey voice and oscillating lyrical delivery, you might need to adjust yourself to his head-wobbling beats, which he produces, alongside Def Jux cohorts such as El-P. Critics are stunned by the plethora of vocabulary he uses in his rhymes, but really, Ian Bavitz is just a regular guy with some off-the-wall rhyming skills. Arguably, he’s the best white rapper the mainstream doesn’t know about – well, at least the most ingenious.

After cultivating a loyal fanbase with records such as Appleseed (1999), Float (2000) and Labor Days (2001), the cunning Lower East Side native just dropped a new record today, Bazooka Tooth. Hitting your eardrums with razor blade poignancy, the album boasts complex beats, while Aesop raps about everything from the banalities of daily life to the tragedy of 9/11 (“Breaker 1-9/9-11-01 witness/Maybe you don’t get this,” he spits on “NY Electric”).

Life & Art caught up with the MC at NYC’s

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...