UM SPORTS BRIEFS

Men’s Cross-Country
Hurricane sophomore Alex Brutvan finished first for the second consecutive meet to lead the University of Miami to a sweep of the top seven spots at the FIU/Lourdes Cross Country Invitational at Tamiami Park in Miami, FL.
The win for Miami (15 points) is its second in as many meets this season. The Hurricanes also swept the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish Invitational on August 30th. St. Thomas took second (61 points) with host Florida International finishing third (65 points).
Brutvan completed the 8,000-meter course in a time of 25:20.62 for his second collegiate victory of the season. Freshman Tom Berry was also impressive finishing second in a time of 26:02.42.
UM sophomore James Mullaly was third (26:25.51), freshman Zach Castiglione finished fourth (26:34.69) while junior Bill Bludgus closed out the Hurricane scoring with a fifth-place finish (26:41.75).
Other Hurricane finishers included freshmen Seth Kampf who took sixth (26:51.48) and Jon Scheiner who finished seventh (26:56.76).
The team will look to continue their winning ways September 26 at the Great American Cross Country Festival in Cary, NC.

Women’s Basketball
The 2003-2004 Miami women’s basketball schedule features 13 games against teams that advanced to postseason play last season, including three Sweet 16 teams and defending NCAA Champion Connecticut.
Miami’s schedule consists of 14 home games played in the new home of Hurricane basketball, the Convocation Center. This will be the first season UM plays its entire home schedule in the newly constructed arena. Miami also has a total of 13 road games.
Miami opens up its tough schedule with five straight non-conference road games in just eight days. The Hurricanes travel to the Morehead State Tournament on November 22nd before heading to Tampa to face South Florida then out to California to close out the month and participate in the Saint Mary’s tournament
Miami opens the home portion of its schedule with a six-game home stand beginning Dec. 2 with cross-town rival Florida International.
UM then faces rival Florida on Dec. 12 before hosting Dartmouth and Richmond. The Hurricanes round out non-conference play hosting the Gatorade Holiday Classic on December 28th with Vanderbilt, Toledo and Rhode Island participating in the tournament.
The Hurricanes open their Big East schedule in January on a three-game road swing traveling to face St. John’s, Villanova, and Boston College.
Highlighting the Hurricanes home Big East schedule is NCAA Sweet Sixteen qualifier Notre Dame and Rutgers who advanced to the second round of the NCAA tourney.
UM will have Big East road clashes with postseason teams Villanova, BC, defending national champion Connecticut, Virginia Tech and ND.
The Hurricanes will play two exhibition games on Nov. 3 and Nov. 17.

Volleyball
The University of Miami’s Robin Lewullis and Jill Robinson earned Big East honors on Monday, Sept. 15 as Lewullis was selected as the Big East Co-Player of the Week and Robinson was named the Big East Rookie of the Week for their performances at last weekend’s Orange and Green Challenge.
Lewullis, a sophomore from Allentown, Pa., established herself as one of the Hurricanes best all-around players at the tournament posting a .548 hitting percentage in 10 games. Lewullis also collected 42 kills along with 14 blocking assists to lead the Hurricanes to victories over George Mason and Columbia at the tournament and was named to the Orange and Green’s All-Tournament Team. St. John’s Jackie Ahlers joined Lewullis as Co-Player of the Week.
In her first start as a Hurricane, Jill Robinson totaled 48 assists and led four Hurricanes to double figures in kills in a 3-0 win over George Mason. The freshman from Merced, Calif. followed that performance with two straight double-double matches against Columbia and Northwestern, posting 41 assists and 11 digs over Columbia while collecting 39 assists and 12 digs over Northwestern.
The Hurricanes will return to action on Friday, traveling to Tallahassee, Fla. to take part in the Florida State Tournament on Sept. 19-20. Miami will face Eastern Kentucky at 2 p.m. to kick off the weekend before taking on FSU at 8 p.m. UM’s match with FSU will be broadcast live on the Sunshine Network.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...