UM AEPi chapter faces disciplinary action

AEPi Suspended
National fraternity officials in town to investigate UM chapter’s alcohol violations

Effective immediately, the charter of Lambda Deuteron chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity at UM has been suspended due to multiple alcohol violations.
This does not, however, mean that the chapter of the fraternity will be permanently removed from campus. That decision is up to the University.
“I was not pleased with what I have learned occurred within our fraternity community,” Greg Singleton, associate dean of students overseeing the fraternities, said in an email message sent out on Saturday night to all fraternity presidents. “If you have to continue to either sell your organization or constantly celebrate with alcohol. . . your organizations have a problem.”
“Let this be a lesson to all of you,” Singleton said in the message. “You should be educating your membership now so that the same thing does not happen to your organization.”
In a telephone interview with The Miami Hurricane, Singleton said the case is currently under investigation.
“I can’t give out any more information at this time,” Singleton said.
According to Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, officials from the fraternity have been on campus since Monday, auditing AEPi members, both collectively and as individuals.
“Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity takes a strong position against the illegal and improper use of alcohol,” Adam E. Aronin, director of risk management for AEPi, said in a letter to Brian Papir, president of the AEPi chapter on campus. “Our alcohol policy is posted in the Supreme Constitution as well as in our Risk Management Policy.”
Suspension of the charter means that the fraternity cannot hold or participate in any activities such as social events, intramural sports or chapter meetings.
Also, all pledge programs and activities have been discontinued.
According to the letter sent to Papir, the charter is being suspended because the AEPi chapter violated University and International and House Corporation rules and regulations over a two-week period.
There are further reports that the fraternity violated state and local laws.
“The suspension will allow me to investigate the allegations to determine the extent and severity of the violations while ensuring that the chapter takes no actions which may violate additional rules and place people’s well being in jeopardy,” Aronin wrote.
Jacob Burch, the current vice-president of the AEPi fraternity at UM, said he feels his fraternity has served a valuable role in the surrounding community and should be regarded as an asset to the University.
“We continually strive to do the right thing and go out of our way to produce outstanding young men,” Burch said. “None of us know the exact truth about what’s going on, but we’re confident we’ll come out on top because of the type of people we are and the things we strive toward. I think this is very unfortunate- this situation has turned into a rumor-mill.”
Singleton said the University will make a final decision on whether the fraternity will remain on campus once all of the results of the investigation have been reviewed.
The Miami Hurricane will continue to follow this issue as it develops.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at UM_newspaper@yahoo.com.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...