NEWS BRIEFS

Good Charlotte to play at UM
Punk has a new name: Good Charlotte! This is the show you do not want to miss, Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. at the UM Convocation Center. Influenced by bands such as Green Day, Rancid and the Cure, these guys are guaranteed to rock the Convocation Center. Rolling into the Miami at the height of their careers with their newly released album The Young and the Hopeless and recent viewers’ choice MTV Video Music Award, band members Benji, Joel, Paul and Bill will be onstage with opening acts Goldfinger and Eve 6. Get your tickets FIRST Saturday, Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. for only $26 (plus service fees). For more information, visit www.UMConvocationCenter.com or email convocationcenter@miami.edu.

Chef Pepin holds class at UM
The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies University of Miami presents “An Evening of Cuban Cuisine with Chef Pepin” as part of Hispanic Heritage Month. Chef Pepin has taken the entertainment and culinary world by storm by magically combining his knowledge of wonderful recipes with his warm sense of humor. In 1988 he made his television debut, and he presently reaches thousands of homes by way of his radio show, Hasta el Fin con Pepin, a syndicated radio segment that airs on over 100 stations nationwide. He can be seen on such television programs as Univision’s Despierta America and M.G.M. Television’s La Cocina del Chef Pepin, both of which are seen in the United States, Latin America and Europe. The class and dinner, on Wednesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at Casa Bacardi, will cost $40. For more information, or to RSVP, contact 305-284-CUBA.
Public Safety works 24/7 for U
The Department of Public Safety is committed to providing a safe campus environment for students, faculty and staff. More than 70 emergency telephones are located throughout the Coral Gables campus. These phones, marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification, are connected directly to the Department of Public Safety and identify the location of the caller in the event he or she is unable to speak. Phones may be used to request a security escort, report suspicious persons/activities or obtain information. Security escorts are provided to all students, faculty and staff on a 24-hour basis from any point on campus. For more information call Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or visit their website at http://www.miami.edu/publicsafety.

Workshops, prizes at PASS week
What exactly is PASS? Pathway to Achieving Student Success or PASS Week is a weeklong series of fun and interactive workshops held throughout the day on a wide range of topics such as leadership skills, self-defense techniques, and time management. With so many topics, there’s one designed just for you! This year PASS Week will kick off with Jamba Juice Jam. Get FREE Jamba Juice on Friday, Sept. 19 from 12-1 p.m. at the Rock.

Need some more enticement? You could win a gift certificate, a plane ticket to Europe, or one of various admissions passes just for attending 2 workshops! These prizes and many more will be raffled off at PASS Week’s concluding event at the Belly Bust on Friday, Sept. 26. To be eligible for the raffle, attend any two workshops and get your PASS postcard punched. It’s time to get involved and PASS on the word about this great opportunity to all your fellow Canes.

For more information, schedule of events, or to print out your PASS Week postcard for the raffle, please visit: www.miami.edu/passweek.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...