NEWS BRIEFS

Good Charlotte to play at UM
Punk has a new name: Good Charlotte! This is the show you do not want to miss, Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. at the UM Convocation Center. Influenced by bands such as Green Day, Rancid and the Cure, these guys are guaranteed to rock the Convocation Center. Rolling into the Miami at the height of their careers with their newly released album The Young and the Hopeless and recent viewers’ choice MTV Video Music Award, band members Benji, Joel, Paul and Bill will be onstage with opening acts Goldfinger and Eve 6. Get your tickets FIRST Saturday, Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. for only $26 (plus service fees). For more information, visit www.UMConvocationCenter.com or email convocationcenter@miami.edu.

Chef Pepin holds class at UM
The Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies University of Miami presents “An Evening of Cuban Cuisine with Chef Pepin” as part of Hispanic Heritage Month. Chef Pepin has taken the entertainment and culinary world by storm by magically combining his knowledge of wonderful recipes with his warm sense of humor. In 1988 he made his television debut, and he presently reaches thousands of homes by way of his radio show, Hasta el Fin con Pepin, a syndicated radio segment that airs on over 100 stations nationwide. He can be seen on such television programs as Univision’s Despierta America and M.G.M. Television’s La Cocina del Chef Pepin, both of which are seen in the United States, Latin America and Europe. The class and dinner, on Wednesday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. at Casa Bacardi, will cost $40. For more information, or to RSVP, contact 305-284-CUBA.
Public Safety works 24/7 for U
The Department of Public Safety is committed to providing a safe campus environment for students, faculty and staff. More than 70 emergency telephones are located throughout the Coral Gables campus. These phones, marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification, are connected directly to the Department of Public Safety and identify the location of the caller in the event he or she is unable to speak. Phones may be used to request a security escort, report suspicious persons/activities or obtain information. Security escorts are provided to all students, faculty and staff on a 24-hour basis from any point on campus. For more information call Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or visit their website at http://www.miami.edu/publicsafety.

Workshops, prizes at PASS week
What exactly is PASS? Pathway to Achieving Student Success or PASS Week is a weeklong series of fun and interactive workshops held throughout the day on a wide range of topics such as leadership skills, self-defense techniques, and time management. With so many topics, there’s one designed just for you! This year PASS Week will kick off with Jamba Juice Jam. Get FREE Jamba Juice on Friday, Sept. 19 from 12-1 p.m. at the Rock.

Need some more enticement? You could win a gift certificate, a plane ticket to Europe, or one of various admissions passes just for attending 2 workshops! These prizes and many more will be raffled off at PASS Week’s concluding event at the Belly Bust on Friday, Sept. 26. To be eligible for the raffle, attend any two workshops and get your PASS postcard punched. It’s time to get involved and PASS on the word about this great opportunity to all your fellow Canes.

For more information, schedule of events, or to print out your PASS Week postcard for the raffle, please visit: www.miami.edu/passweek.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...