Men’s tennis begins

The men’s tennis team has been waiting for its chance to get back on the court since inclement weather disrupted the end of the Big East Tournament last year.
Newly appointed Head Coach Bryan Getz was given the job this summer after serving as the interim coach last season. Getz led the Hurricanes to a No. 33 rank in the nation and a No.1 seed going into the Big East Tournament.
“Our guys are as hungry as ever going into the season, especially after not being able to finish the deal last year,” Getz said.
Last year’s leader Todd Widom will be missed as he has decided to turn pro. Widom was a key part in the team’s successful campaign last season. Getz feels the team can still be as good or even better without Widom.
“There have been some personnel changes, but as for attitude and work ethic it is just as good as it was [last year],” Getz said.
The injury bug bit the Hurricanes more times than they would have liked last season. The team has five lettermen returning this season, which is one reason why Getz has his goals set high.
“Our main goal is to win the Big East again,” Getz said. “We’d also like to do well in the NCAA Tournament, but we have to concentrate on the Big East first.”
The ‘Canes will be looking to make their eighth consecutive appearance at the NCAA Tournament after posting a 13-8 record a year ago.
UM will have one senior, one junior, five sophomores, and one freshman seeing action this season. Two leaders returning from last year are sophomores Eric Hechtman and Colin Purcell. Hechtman posted 22 wins as a freshman and Purcell recorded a 10-4 record in singles play.
The lone freshman on the team is Josh Cohen out of Weston, Florida. Also in the ‘Canes lineup are senior Luis Fernando Manrique and junior Jonathan Ounjian. Rounding out the group of five sophomores are Tim Krebs, John Hoyes II, and Jeremiah Fuller.
“Even though the rankings have not come out yet for this season, after last year, we should definitely be ranked,” Getz said.
Although Getz knows that in any sport a team has to look at one match at a time, there are some match-ups that stick out on the schedule.
“Anytime we play our rivals like Florida State or Florida it’s a big deal,” Getz said. “Any match against a Big East team is also very important, but we know not to look ahead.”
The Hurricanes will open up the season this weekend at the UM Fall Classic. Alabama, University of Central Florida, and NC State will be involved in the all-weekend event at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Miami is set to play Friday at 2PM against NC State, Saturday at 2PM against Alabama, and will close out play on Sunday against UCF at 1PM.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...