LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “My So-Called Life: How to save at UM”
I understand that you are disgruntled by the fact that your parents care enough about your education to send you to one of the premier research institutions in the country, and I can respect your right to free speech. However, if you are going to suggest inane propositions, perhaps doing so with some thought may be slightly more fruitful.
First of all, the new M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education is being built with funds raised during a capital campaign, not with “federal funds.” Additionally, whether you would like to admit it or not, one day a nurse will most likely be “cleaning feces” off old man Seth’s bum. In case you have not had the opportunity to work in, or be a patient in, a medical setting, I can assure you that you will be thankful for well-trained nurses if you ever do.
Secondly, the “fountain” in the middle of the lake re-circulates water, and does not increase the “monthly water payments.” In case you haven’t taken the opportunity to notice, the lake is a beautiful and serene place to bring your books to study, and make the most out of your, excuse me, your parents’ “thirty thousand a year.”
Lastly, joking about the tragic death of a student is a bit distasteful. If you have such staunch opinions concerning the way the university is run, perhaps running for a student office may be a more productive avenue for making a difference. If not, you could always run a California gubernatorial campaign.
If you want to save at UM, consider opting for the discount parking pass, that’ll save you $100. You also might want to buy some books online at places like half.com – that’ll save you money as well. Furthermore, the Richter Library is an amazing facility that has, or can get from another library, nearly anything you desire. Utilizing the vast variety of resources that this “private institution” has to offer is a superb way to take advantage of the opportunities that the University of Miami provides for you.

Blake Scanlon
Graduate Assistant

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...