LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “My So-Called Life: How to save at UM”
I understand that you are disgruntled by the fact that your parents care enough about your education to send you to one of the premier research institutions in the country, and I can respect your right to free speech. However, if you are going to suggest inane propositions, perhaps doing so with some thought may be slightly more fruitful.
First of all, the new M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education is being built with funds raised during a capital campaign, not with “federal funds.” Additionally, whether you would like to admit it or not, one day a nurse will most likely be “cleaning feces” off old man Seth’s bum. In case you have not had the opportunity to work in, or be a patient in, a medical setting, I can assure you that you will be thankful for well-trained nurses if you ever do.
Secondly, the “fountain” in the middle of the lake re-circulates water, and does not increase the “monthly water payments.” In case you haven’t taken the opportunity to notice, the lake is a beautiful and serene place to bring your books to study, and make the most out of your, excuse me, your parents’ “thirty thousand a year.”
Lastly, joking about the tragic death of a student is a bit distasteful. If you have such staunch opinions concerning the way the university is run, perhaps running for a student office may be a more productive avenue for making a difference. If not, you could always run a California gubernatorial campaign.
If you want to save at UM, consider opting for the discount parking pass, that’ll save you $100. You also might want to buy some books online at places like half.com – that’ll save you money as well. Furthermore, the Richter Library is an amazing facility that has, or can get from another library, nearly anything you desire. Utilizing the vast variety of resources that this “private institution” has to offer is a superb way to take advantage of the opportunities that the University of Miami provides for you.

Blake Scanlon
Graduate Assistant

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...