Senate discusses six bills, ratifies new officers in SG

The SG Senate held its second meeting of the semester last week. During the meeting, last week’s bill to amend the UM Constitution in reference to senator attendance was brought up for a second reading and voted on. It was passed after debate over semantics and hypothetical possibilities. Six new bills were discussed during the session: one to ratify a Supreme Court justice, four to ratify elections commissioners, and the last to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot.
Congratulations to Juan Broche on his ratification as Supreme Court justice.
Congratulations are also in order for Yadelene Riesgo, Xavier Arcentales, Tatiana Sanchez and Nathalie Siru for their ratification as elections commissioners.
The incorporation of the bill to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot resulted in the greatest discussion. Authored by Bryan Weisbard, Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee [SAFAC] chairperson, the bill called for a $5 increase in the student activity fee, active beginning in the 2004-2005 academic year.
Mr. Weisbard explained that the increase would go to fund current and future student organizations at UM. After much discussion, the Senate offered to amend the bill to include an increase of $2.50; an amendment which Mr. Weisbard accepted.
The bill was then passed and is expected to appear on the Fall 2003 Elections Ballot for the student body to vote on.
The session ended after project updates and information on upcoming events were given.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Chelsy Castro can be contacted at CURLS34@aol.com.

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...