Senate discusses six bills, ratifies new officers in SG

The SG Senate held its second meeting of the semester last week. During the meeting, last week’s bill to amend the UM Constitution in reference to senator attendance was brought up for a second reading and voted on. It was passed after debate over semantics and hypothetical possibilities. Six new bills were discussed during the session: one to ratify a Supreme Court justice, four to ratify elections commissioners, and the last to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot.
Congratulations to Juan Broche on his ratification as Supreme Court justice.
Congratulations are also in order for Yadelene Riesgo, Xavier Arcentales, Tatiana Sanchez and Nathalie Siru for their ratification as elections commissioners.
The incorporation of the bill to place a referendum in the Fall 2003 elections ballot resulted in the greatest discussion. Authored by Bryan Weisbard, Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee [SAFAC] chairperson, the bill called for a $5 increase in the student activity fee, active beginning in the 2004-2005 academic year.
Mr. Weisbard explained that the increase would go to fund current and future student organizations at UM. After much discussion, the Senate offered to amend the bill to include an increase of $2.50; an amendment which Mr. Weisbard accepted.
The bill was then passed and is expected to appear on the Fall 2003 Elections Ballot for the student body to vote on.
The session ended after project updates and information on upcoming events were given.
For more information on SG, visit the SG website at www.miami.edu/sg. To contact SG, e-mail them at studentgovernment@miami.edu.

Chelsy Castro can be contacted at CURLS34@aol.com.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...