NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe exhibit celebrates ceramics
A Ceramic Continuum: Fifty Years of the Archie Bray Influence will be on exhibition at the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, from Sept. 20 through Nov. 9, 2003. Also on view is Connected, a site-specific installation by former Archie Bray fellow, Rebecca Hutchinson. A Ceramic Continuum features 85 ceramic works drawn from the permanent collection of more than 800 works of the Archie Bray Foundation for Ceramic Arts and celebrates the Foundation’s 50th anniversary in 2001.
The Archie Bray Foundation, located in Helena, Montana, is a public, non-profit educational institution dedicated to the enrichment of contemporary ceramic arts. The primary mission of the Foundation is its arts residency program, which allows students and professionals to create in private studios while contributing to one another’s development through the sharing of ideas and techniques.
To complement A Ceramic Continuum: Fifty Years of the Archie Bray Influence, the Lowe has commissioned a site-specific installation by Rebecca Hutchinson. The former Archie Bray fellow will transform the Lowe’s Friends of Art Gallery with one of her signature works, which makes use of organic materials and addresses interest in the totality of ecosystem function and diverse components within ecosystems that provide collaborative, parasitic and symbiotic relationships.
Deadline approaches for awards
The deadline for applying for most of the prestigious national awards, including Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright and Gates, is fast approaching. If you are interested in these awards, you must get busy with the process immediately. You will find details about each award on the Honors Program website: www.miami.edu/honorsprogram. Remember: you do not have to be a member of the Honors Program to apply for these awards. All you generally need is a grade point average of 3.700 or higher and a record of involvement in extracurricular events and activities.
Festival Miami comes to Gusman
Festival Miami, which runs from Sept. 20 to Oct. 25, 2003, is recognized for offering a dazzling array of music. All Festival Miami events will be held in the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall unless otherwise noted. Ticket prices range from $5 to $25 and $40 for opening and closing night performances and receptions. Tickets may be purchased directly from the Festival Miami ticket office or through Ticketmaster. To order tickets or to obtain a complete schedule of events, visit the festival’s website at www.music.miami.edu or call 305-284-4940.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...