NEWS BRIEFS

Lowe exhibit celebrates ceramics
A Ceramic Continuum: Fifty Years of the Archie Bray Influence will be on exhibition at the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, from Sept. 20 through Nov. 9, 2003. Also on view is Connected, a site-specific installation by former Archie Bray fellow, Rebecca Hutchinson. A Ceramic Continuum features 85 ceramic works drawn from the permanent collection of more than 800 works of the Archie Bray Foundation for Ceramic Arts and celebrates the Foundation’s 50th anniversary in 2001.
The Archie Bray Foundation, located in Helena, Montana, is a public, non-profit educational institution dedicated to the enrichment of contemporary ceramic arts. The primary mission of the Foundation is its arts residency program, which allows students and professionals to create in private studios while contributing to one another’s development through the sharing of ideas and techniques.
To complement A Ceramic Continuum: Fifty Years of the Archie Bray Influence, the Lowe has commissioned a site-specific installation by Rebecca Hutchinson. The former Archie Bray fellow will transform the Lowe’s Friends of Art Gallery with one of her signature works, which makes use of organic materials and addresses interest in the totality of ecosystem function and diverse components within ecosystems that provide collaborative, parasitic and symbiotic relationships.
Deadline approaches for awards
The deadline for applying for most of the prestigious national awards, including Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright and Gates, is fast approaching. If you are interested in these awards, you must get busy with the process immediately. You will find details about each award on the Honors Program website: www.miami.edu/honorsprogram. Remember: you do not have to be a member of the Honors Program to apply for these awards. All you generally need is a grade point average of 3.700 or higher and a record of involvement in extracurricular events and activities.
Festival Miami comes to Gusman
Festival Miami, which runs from Sept. 20 to Oct. 25, 2003, is recognized for offering a dazzling array of music. All Festival Miami events will be held in the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall unless otherwise noted. Ticket prices range from $5 to $25 and $40 for opening and closing night performances and receptions. Tickets may be purchased directly from the Festival Miami ticket office or through Ticketmaster. To order tickets or to obtain a complete schedule of events, visit the festival’s website at www.music.miami.edu or call 305-284-4940.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...