EYE FILLER: An evening at OPIUM with ex-porn star/VJ Simon Rex

Ex-porn star and newcomer to the bigger screen, Simon Rex, played host to a convivial bash last Saturday evening at the exotic celebrity hotbed, Opium, to celebrate the release of his upcoming breakout film, Scary Movie 3.

Another sequel to the original, okay Scream-spoof, Rex plays a character named George next to a surprisingly virile cast, including Charlie Sheen, Denise Richards, Queen Latifah, and the godfather of slapstick, 79 year-old Leslie Nielsen.

“He’s my idol,” Rex said in genuine admiration as we chatted over “Rapper’s Delight” and “Gin and Juice” about how fun the movie was to make. Most of us recognize Rex from his days as a model for Boss and Levi’s and for his mid-’90s veejay stint at MTV. Now 29, he was notoriously fired from a gig at Disney due to his leafless past, and recently appeared in a Chevy Chase film called, The Karate Dog, as a detective who befriends a talking canine that studies martial arts…moving along. Currently back at the channel’s studios, he’s starring in a new boobtube show based closer to reality entitled “Channel Surfing” alongside friend Jordan Reuben.

Born in San Francisco, Rex has spent his lucrative and lavish 20s modeling, partying, and catching flights from NYC, Milan, and Los Angeles, where he’s presently dwelling. But he loves visiting Miami so much that he can’t wait to get a place here – surprisingly, one not in South Beach, but in the Grove. And yes, he’s single – which will make future Thursdays at Moe’s just a little more enticing for the ladies of UM, no?

– Rachel Cusick

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...