Neverending EUPHORIA: UM fans express the emotion of Saturday’s comeback victory

‘Canes leave Gators swamped, freshmen react to an explosive home game

he weather forecast predicted a storm in Miami on Saturday night. Although the skies were clear, the prediction was right on target. The ‘Canes delivered a sensational win against the Gators, arguably our biggest rivals.

“I’m really excited that I am one of the lucky few who actually get to see UF come to our home,” Carey McIntyre, sophomore, said.
Amidst the meat grilling on the barbecue at the pep rally and the “I SMELL GATOR” shirts floating around campus, it seemed the ‘Canes would be unstoppable.
“Do not come to this game in a happy mood. You gotta be nasty with these Gators,” Coach Coker said at the pep rally.
After the opening kickoff resulted in a touchdown return, nobody thought the game would be close.

“The Gators stand no chance. Everyone is just waiting for the big win,” Vanessa Krause, sophomore, said. “We are ready to eat Gator meat!”
By the end of the half, however, many had lost hope when the scoreboard read 10-33 in favor of the Gators.
“Miami can’t afford to play down to the level of their competition,” John Norman, sophomore, said. “They have to play their A-game.”
Many people even left the game.

“We were seriously going to leave when there were six minutes left in the third quarter, but a friend convinced us to stay,” Camille Goldstein, freshman, said. “I would have really regretted leaving, because it ended up being the best game of my life.”
The game encompassed every possible emotional high and low. At one moment, a humiliating defeat was imminent, but 30 seconds later, the ‘Canes were pulling off an amazing comeback.

“At the end of the third quarter, it was like the players suddenly realized, ‘Oh wait, we are supposed to win this game,'” Taurri Coyne, sophomore, said.
The ‘Canes shocked the crowd, and surely the Gator players, by scoring three successive touchdowns in the middle of the second half, pulling them back into the game. “Miami doesn’t f*ck around!” James Ranton, sophomore, said.
As the fourth quarter played out, ‘Canes fans could probably be heard in Gainesville. The crowd became more excited with every play.
“We are the number one Gator-haters!” Keri Bolden, sophomore, said.
The game ended in a solid 38-33 victory for the ‘Canes.
“It’s an even better win when they think they have you and then you come back,” April Neumann, freshman, said.

This was the first UM game for most freshmen and the first home game of the season.
“It was an experience that certainly did not disappoint,” Cara Richardson, freshman, said. “The energy at this game was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.”
“I thought things were crazy in my hometown when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers made it to the Superbowl last year, but it’s nothing compared to this,” Shalu Patel, freshman, said.

Before the game, Florida Gator Blake Bonsack said, “I am going to run the field if we win.”
But many Gators say they knew from the outset what the game would be like.
“My Gator cousin is so nervous about this game,” Lara Traver, sophomore, said. “She thinks Miami is going to win.”
Gator fan Chris Davis tried to console his team.
“If the game had ended one quarter early, there would have been a lot of crying ‘Canes.”
Perhaps Delmar Yarbrough, sophomore, put it best.
“To all the Gator fans around here, I’m going to be glad when the game makes you regret your six hour trip.”
“This game belongs on ESPN classics,” James Brodbeck, sophomore, said.

Megha Garg can be contacted at

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...