UM v.s. UF

Brock Berlin has about as much starting experience as the Florida’s QB’s, but he is older, more mature, and he will be hungry against his old team. He needs to cut out the mistakes he made against Louisiana Tech.

Ron Zook has made the dangerous choice to rotate quarterbacks. Sophomore Ingle Martin will start, while freshman Chris Leak will come into the game around the third series.

quarterback UM Wins

Frank Gore showed that he has fully recovered from knee surgery with a fine effort in the Louisiana Tech game. Fullback Quad Hill needs to stop dropping passes.

Senior Ran Carthon averaged 4.2 yards per carry against San Jose State but the Gators will sorely miss Earnest Graham when Carthon meets Vince Wilfork and the Hurricane linebackers.

If the Gators key on tight end Kellen Winslow, Berlin still has plenty of options with senior Kevin Beard and young phenoms Roscoe Parrish and Ryan Moore.

Tight end Ben Troupe is a poor man’s Winslow, and seniors Kelvin Kight and Carlos Perez have enough talent and experience to lead a young group.

UM’s o-line looks very thin with Joe McGrath out with an injury and the possible loss of tackle Carlos Joseph and guard Vernon Carey to sprained ankles. Some young players could get thrown in the fire.

The o-line is one of Florida’s strengths, with seniors Max Starks and Shannon Snell at the guard positions. The Gators only lost one of their top seven linemen last year.

Big Vince Wilfork anchors a young, untested group. If the 344- pound mammoth plays like he did against Louisiana Tech then most worries about the inexperienced group should dissipate.

The Gators are just as young as the ‘Canes along the d-line. Freshman d-tackle Ray McDonald had the team’s only sack against San Jose State.

D.J. Williams will team up with Rocky McIntosh and Jon Vilma, both returning from injuries, to form one of the most formidable LB units in the nation. If either of those two isn’t ready, then Leon Williams and Darrell McClover will step in.

UF starts two seniors and a junior at the LB positions, so they have the age. But Matt Farrior, Reid Fleming, and Todd McCullough lack the incredible talent and experience that UM has.

UM had the number one secondary in the nation last year and they return everyone. Safety Sean Taylor and cornerback Antrel Rolle each had interceptions last week. They will try to exploit UF’s young QB’s.

Cornerback Keiwan Ratliff is the Gator’s best player and three other seniors join him in the secondary. Although this is the team’s strongest unit, they will have their hands full with Kellen Winslow.

Jon Peattie and Mark Gent will share kicking duties, while true freshman Brian Monroe will punt. The kicking game is young and could be a weakness, but Parrish and Devin Hester are a touchdown threat on every punt and kickoff.

The Gators also have a freshman punter in Eric Wilbur, and they have blocked a punt in each of their last two games. Matt Piotrowicz will kickoff and Matt Leach will handle field goals and extra points. Ratliff is just as dangerous as Parrish on punt returns.

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...