UM v.s. UF

Brock Berlin has about as much starting experience as the Florida’s QB’s, but he is older, more mature, and he will be hungry against his old team. He needs to cut out the mistakes he made against Louisiana Tech.

Ron Zook has made the dangerous choice to rotate quarterbacks. Sophomore Ingle Martin will start, while freshman Chris Leak will come into the game around the third series.

quarterback UM Wins

Frank Gore showed that he has fully recovered from knee surgery with a fine effort in the Louisiana Tech game. Fullback Quad Hill needs to stop dropping passes.

Senior Ran Carthon averaged 4.2 yards per carry against San Jose State but the Gators will sorely miss Earnest Graham when Carthon meets Vince Wilfork and the Hurricane linebackers.

RUNNING BACK UM wins

If the Gators key on tight end Kellen Winslow, Berlin still has plenty of options with senior Kevin Beard and young phenoms Roscoe Parrish and Ryan Moore.

Tight end Ben Troupe is a poor man’s Winslow, and seniors Kelvin Kight and Carlos Perez have enough talent and experience to lead a young group.

WIDE RECEIVER UM Wins

UM’s o-line looks very thin with Joe McGrath out with an injury and the possible loss of tackle Carlos Joseph and guard Vernon Carey to sprained ankles. Some young players could get thrown in the fire.

The o-line is one of Florida’s strengths, with seniors Max Starks and Shannon Snell at the guard positions. The Gators only lost one of their top seven linemen last year.

OFFENSIVE LINE UF Wins

Big Vince Wilfork anchors a young, untested group. If the 344- pound mammoth plays like he did against Louisiana Tech then most worries about the inexperienced group should dissipate.

The Gators are just as young as the ‘Canes along the d-line. Freshman d-tackle Ray McDonald had the team’s only sack against San Jose State.

DEFENSIVE LINE UM Wins

D.J. Williams will team up with Rocky McIntosh and Jon Vilma, both returning from injuries, to form one of the most formidable LB units in the nation. If either of those two isn’t ready, then Leon Williams and Darrell McClover will step in.

UF starts two seniors and a junior at the LB positions, so they have the age. But Matt Farrior, Reid Fleming, and Todd McCullough lack the incredible talent and experience that UM has.

LINEBACKERS UM Wins

UM had the number one secondary in the nation last year and they return everyone. Safety Sean Taylor and cornerback Antrel Rolle each had interceptions last week. They will try to exploit UF’s young QB’s.

Cornerback Keiwan Ratliff is the Gator’s best player and three other seniors join him in the secondary. Although this is the team’s strongest unit, they will have their hands full with Kellen Winslow.

SECONDARY UM Wins

Jon Peattie and Mark Gent will share kicking duties, while true freshman Brian Monroe will punt. The kicking game is young and could be a weakness, but Parrish and Devin Hester are a touchdown threat on every punt and kickoff.

The Gators also have a freshman punter in Eric Wilbur, and they have blocked a punt in each of their last two games. Matt Piotrowicz will kickoff and Matt Leach will handle field goals and extra points. Ratliff is just as dangerous as Parrish on punt returns.

SPECIAL TEAMS TIE

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...