NEWS BRIEFS

Sebastian the Ibis creator dies
John Stormont, the UM graduate credited with creating and wearing the original Sebastian, has died. Stormont, a n and his fellow residents of San Sebastian hall created the ibis as an entry in the homecoming celebration of 1957. The following year, Stormont wore the costume to football games, thus beginning the tradition of Sebastian the Ibis. Following graduation, Stormont worked as a professor at UM and MDCC, as well as a news editor for WPLG.

Undergrad mag seeks editors
Dune Shack is an online literary magazine featuring work from UM undergraduates. It is produced by the Creative Writing program in conjunction with U-Turn, the non-fiction webzine written and designed by students in English 306. Dune Shack is now looking for editors who will solicit student creative work-including poetry, fiction, drama and new media-and select pieces for inclusion in the Fall issue of the ‘zine. Any UM undergraduate who would be interested in working on this exciting new publication should contact Neil de la Flor at theduneshack@yahoo.com or Gina Maranto, Assistant Director of Composition, at g.maranto@miami.edu. An organizational meeting will be held in the next few weeks. To check out the current edition of Dune Shack, go to www.uturnmag.com.

Latin films to show at Cosford
The Motion Picture Association-Latin America and School of Communication present the Latin American Film Series 2003, showcasing first-run films from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico twice a month at The Bill Cosford Cinema located in the Memorial Building. For details and show times call 305-284-1870.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...