Greek recruitment offers UM students social benefits, more

Greek Recruitment is here! If you’re not Greek, you’ve probably asked yourself, “What’s all the fuss about?” It’s simple.
“Recruitment is the best way to meet new friends at the University,” Tim Williamson, vice president of recruitment for the Interfraternity Council [IFC], said. “It allows you to meet hundreds of new students while at the same time acclimating you to life at the University.”
Williamson says he expects a record number of men and women to go through recruitment this year.
“We have new and exciting events, and the student leaders around campus are all Greek,” Williamson said. “All new students should participate in recruitment because it gives you benefits that you can take with you for the rest of your life.”
Natalie Pick, vice president of recruitment for Panhellenic, agrees.
“Being Greek is a great way to find your niche at this University, be it through academics, leadership positions, sports or just a group of people that share a common bond,” Pick said. “There’s something for everyone and it’s definitely been the best experience of my college career.”
“It’s opened so many doors for me,” she said.
Panhellenic recruitment is a series of events allowing potential new members to learn all about sorority life. Within this week of events, students meet with each individual sorority to learn more about their chapter.
Through this formalized recruitment process, a system has been set up where the intended outcome is that all participating ladies are allowed to be offered a position in a sorority through quota. Quota is set during the recruitment process using a formula to predict the average number of women that would be placed in the sisterhood of each sorority at the end of recruitment, on Bid Day.
IFC recruitment began the first day you walked onto campus; bids could be given out the first day of class, and bidding continues through Sep. 12. Although there is a formal process, IFC organizations may recruit year round. IFC has a lot to offer its members.
“There so many reasons, its hard to begin,” Steven Ollek, Rho Alpha, said. “Sports, academics, social connections – there are so many opportunities.”
Additionally, the Latino Greek Council and the National Panhellenic recruit through a process known as intake. This process generally includes an introduction stage, an induction ceremony, and an education program.
Many believe that Greek membership definitely has its advantages.
“Being Greek is great – it allows you to meet more people than if you were not Greek,” William Ryan Walker, junior, said.
Think it’s too late to join because you’re not a freshman? Think again; recruitment is for everyone. When asked why she was signing up for recruitment, Katherine Unger, sophomore, said: “I want to meet people, meet new friends, get involved with the social aspect.”
Both the IFC and the Panhellenic Association are currently gearing up for their formal recruitment. IFC has already kicked off their formal recruitment, while Panhellenic formal recruitment is slated to begin Sep. 8.
For more information regarding Greek recruitment, contact greekhurricanes@yahoo.com or visit www.miami.edu/greeklife.

The Miami Hurricane will print a Greek Gossip section every Tuesday. Greek organizations are encouraged to contact either Stephanie Brown or Robert Castro with any information they would like to see included in the section in regards to special events, achievements, plans or any other newsworthy aspect of Greek life.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...