NEWS BRIEFS

UM ranks with Princeton Review
UM was recently ranked in three categories in the Princeton Review’s annual college guidebook, The Best 351 Colleges. UM ranked fifth best in both the “Great College Town” and “Most Beautiful Campus” and ninth in the “Diverse Student Population” list. To read the full listings, visit www.princetonreview.com.

CIO recognizes UM’s technology
UM has received CIO magazine’s accolade as one of the top 100 organizations demonstrating the resourceful use of technology in a tough economic climate. The 16th annual awards from CIO (Chief Information Officer) recognize organizations around the world that excel in positive business performance through resourceful IT management and practices.
One of four institutions of higher education to earn this year’s award, UM is also one of only two honored organizations from Florida – the other being Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of Miami.

UMTV earns Crystal Reel Award
UMIQ, UMTV’s game show, has been awarded the prestigious Crystal Reel Award given out by the Florida Motion Picture and Television Association.
The Crystal Reel is an award created to honor outstanding achievement in the Motion Picture, Television, Recording and Digital Media industries in the State of Florida.
UMIQ is a game show based on questions gathered from different classrooms. Contestants are randomly selected from a lottery for each of the eight teams representing UM students: Apartment Area, Eaton, Hecht, Stanford, Mahoney, Pearson, Greeks and Commuters.
Each show consists of three rounds, and the winning team from every episode advances to the finals. Each contestant of the winning team receives a $1,000 credit to the UM bookstore. Runners-up receive a $500 credit, courtesy of UM Provost Luis Glaser.
Look for UMIQ on the campus cable channel UMTV, Channel 24, or on AT&T Broadband Channel 96 in Coral Gables.

Matchboxtwenty bassist endows scholarship for School of Music
Musician Brian Yale, bass guitarist for the band Matchbox Twenty, has recently endowed a scholarship at his alma mater, the University of Miami School of Music, for incoming students.
Yale, a graduate of the school in 1992, and his band mates have created the Matchbox Twenty Foundation. Yale contacted UM after receiving the University’s alumni publication Miami Magazine, which inspired him to help those who want to study music as he did. According to Yale, UM School of Music Professor Matthew Bonelli was instrumental in his growth musically. In fact, Yale dedicated Matchbox Twenty’s first album to his professor.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...