Hurricane Sports Briefs

Women’s Soccer

The University of Miami soccer team played its final exhibition match of the season against No. 21 Florida Saturday morning at Cobb Stadium.
The Hurricanes had a strong outing the three 30-minute periods. Miami took seven shots on goal compared to four for UF.

“I was pleased with our overall performance today,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We came in with a set game plan and executed it very well. We will now go in and make some adjustments in preparation for the regular season.”
The two teams were scoreless after the first 30 minutes of play, with Miami taking six shots compared to only two for the Gators.

The only goal of the match came at the 47 minute mark as Amber Presnick of UF scored on a deflected ball by Miami goalkeeper Alex Alford. Miami tallied 13 total shots on the day while the Gators took 12 shots. Freshman keeper Alford made three saves in 90 minutes of action in her first outing as a Hurricane.

Brittni Goodwin of UF made four saves in 45 minutes, while Colleen Donovan made three saves in 45 minutes. Florida took seven corner kicks while Miami took three. Anik Huffman led Miami with three shots.

Miami opens the 2003 season on Friday, Aug. 29 at 5:30 p.m. vs. Indiana in the FAU tournament in Boca Raton, Fla.

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...