Got a Gripe?

Robert Castro, former Student Government [SG] presidential run-off candidate, has recently taken on the position of intern for the Division of Student Affairs.

“My job is to work as a liaison between the administration and the student body,” Castro said. “I also collaborate with separate departments throughout campus on different projects.”

“I want to be there for students who may feel a little awkward approaching the administration with a comment or concern,” Castro said. “Luckily, though, we have a very student-friendly administration, but I can understand why some students might prefer to talk to a student.”

Currently, Castro is working on a September 11 remembrance ceremony. He is also working on the planning for the renovation/expansion project of the UC and with the Convocation Center [C-Center] advisory committee. During the summer, he worked as an off-campus housing coordinator. This is the second year the intern position exists.

According to Richard Walker, assistant vice-president for student affairs working directly with Castro, the position was developed to give student leaders a “different type” of leadership opportunity.

“Typically for this position we try to find a seasoned student leader that will help the administration with a variety of special projects throughout the year,” Walker said. Currently, in addition to his new position, Robert Castro is president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, public relations coordinator for the Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC], and president of BACCHUS, a peer education group that focuses on promoting the education of the effects of alcohol and responsible drinking. In the past,
Castro also served as vice-president of the Honor Council and president of the Federation of Cuban Students [FEC].

“Leadership positions on campus help students to develop as individuals while at the same time helping UM and fellow students,” Castro said. “It makes for a more well-rounded college experience.”

“It’s nice to be able to say ‘Wow! I helped make that change.'”
Castro encourages any student who may have a problem on campus to contact him directly so that he may work toward developing a resolution.

“Whenever I’m not in class, I’m available,” Castro said. “You can’t just have all positive, you need the negative to learn from, and thus create the positives.”

Robert Castro can be contacted via e-mail at rcastro@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will follow up on all of the projects that Castro and the Division of Student Affairs will be working on throughout the semester.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...