Got a Gripe?

Robert Castro, former Student Government [SG] presidential run-off candidate, has recently taken on the position of intern for the Division of Student Affairs.

“My job is to work as a liaison between the administration and the student body,” Castro said. “I also collaborate with separate departments throughout campus on different projects.”

“I want to be there for students who may feel a little awkward approaching the administration with a comment or concern,” Castro said. “Luckily, though, we have a very student-friendly administration, but I can understand why some students might prefer to talk to a student.”

Currently, Castro is working on a September 11 remembrance ceremony. He is also working on the planning for the renovation/expansion project of the UC and with the Convocation Center [C-Center] advisory committee. During the summer, he worked as an off-campus housing coordinator. This is the second year the intern position exists.

According to Richard Walker, assistant vice-president for student affairs working directly with Castro, the position was developed to give student leaders a “different type” of leadership opportunity.

“Typically for this position we try to find a seasoned student leader that will help the administration with a variety of special projects throughout the year,” Walker said. Currently, in addition to his new position, Robert Castro is president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, public relations coordinator for the Inter-Fraternity Council [IFC], and president of BACCHUS, a peer education group that focuses on promoting the education of the effects of alcohol and responsible drinking. In the past,
Castro also served as vice-president of the Honor Council and president of the Federation of Cuban Students [FEC].

“Leadership positions on campus help students to develop as individuals while at the same time helping UM and fellow students,” Castro said. “It makes for a more well-rounded college experience.”

“It’s nice to be able to say ‘Wow! I helped make that change.'”
Castro encourages any student who may have a problem on campus to contact him directly so that he may work toward developing a resolution.

“Whenever I’m not in class, I’m available,” Castro said. “You can’t just have all positive, you need the negative to learn from, and thus create the positives.”

Robert Castro can be contacted via e-mail at rcastro@miami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will follow up on all of the projects that Castro and the Division of Student Affairs will be working on throughout the semester.

Jorge Arauz can be contacted at xxarauzxx@yahoo.com.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...