Ask the IBIS

Dear IBIS,
I recently transferred to UM from another university. I am currently taking prescription medication. Is there a pharmacy on campus? What are the health and wellness services available at UM?

UM has a pharmacy located at the Student Health Center. The pharmacy accepts all prescriptions, as well as most insurance plans. They offer prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins and supplements. Generally, prices are lower than at drug stores. Contraceptives are accessible to students for less than typical insurance co-payments.

Health and wellness services are the responsibility of four departments: the Student Health Center, the Counseling Center, Dean of Students Office/PIER 21 and the Wellness Center.

The Student Health Center, an on-campus outpatient medical center, provides primary care, women’s health care (gynecology and contraception counseling), orthopedics, X-rays, EKGs and laboratory services (including free HIV testing). Most students prefer to “walk in” for primary care services; however, appointments are necessary for women’s health and orthopedic care. Students do not need the Heaalth Center sponsored insurance plan to receive services; further, many primary care services are free. Students may obtain health advice from the health educator and/or health care providers.

Free condoms are available at the front desk. For more information, visit www.miami.edu/student-health, e-mail student-health@miami.edu, or call 8-5927.

There are a myriad of reasons students seek the help of the Counseling Center. Many students undergo depression, relationship conflicts, and/or family problems. Students often experience issues with substance abuse, body image and identity. Controlling test anxiety, defining career objectives and selecting a major also are common concerns. Counseling Center services include individual counseling, career testing, crisis intervention, group counseling, outreach training, learning disabilities assessment, and psychiatric consultation. Further, the Sexual Assault Response Team [SART] maintains a hotline to assist students with relationship violence questions. Confidential appointments are free to students who have paid the University fee. For more information or an appointment, call 8-5511 or visit the Counseling Center.

PIER 21 – the Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education is a comprehensive prevention, intervention, education, and referral program focusing on alcohol and other drug use, misuse, and dependency. An arm of the Dean of Students Office, the Center works in concert with the campus to promote healthy lifestyles, encourage personal responsibility, and educate students on the consequences of high-risk alcohol and drug use. PIER 21 provides programs, a resource room, and anonymous referrals for support. For more information, visit www.miami.edu/pier21 or email pier21@miami.edu.

The Wellness Center, known for its recreational activities, also provides health-related services. The Fitness Laboratory is a supervised exercise programming area dedicated to educating the UM community on healthy lifestyles. Health promotion services include nutrition consultations; two peer education programs (STRIKE tobacco control and CHAMP lifestyle evaluations; classes in CPR, women’s self-defense and healthy cooking; and outreach. Additionally, the Wellness Center provides massage therapy, physical therapy consultations, personal training and condoms. For more information, visit www.miami.edu/wellness or call 8-LIFE.

Do you have a question for Ask the IBIS? If so, please email jtiberian@miami.edu.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...