Youngest-ever Rhodes Scholar prepares for future

Devi Sridhar, an eighteen-year-old UM senior, is the youngest-ever recipient of the prestigious Rhodes Scholar award, the first recipient from UM since 1987.
“It was a little unexpected,” Sridhar said about winning the award. “When I heard I won, I just went blank… Even when I was a regional finalist I didn’t even think I had a shot.”
Yet Sridhar’s many accomplishments made her an ideal recipient. Among her many achievements, Sridhar is an accomplished violinist and a ranked tennis player. She is also fluent in five languages and has written a children’s book with her siblings titled, Puzzle Your Way Through Indian Mythology.
Criteria for winning the award includes a high level of academic achievement, integrity of character, a spirit of unselfishness, respect for others, a potential for leadership and physical vigor. The Rhodes Trust pays all college and university fees, provides a stipend to cover necessary expenses while in residence in Oxford, as well as during vacations and transportation to and from England.
Sridhar and 31 other Rhodes Scholars from the U.S. joined an international group of scholars, chosen from 18 other jurisdictions around the world. Sridhar, who graduated in May with a degree in biology, plans to pursue either a master’s degree in economics or neuroscience while at Oxford.
“I’m so proud of Devi being selected as a Rhodes Scholar,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said. “She has accomplished so much for someone her young age. Her outstanding academic record, combined with her musical and linguistic talents and concern for children unquestionably satisfies the Rhodes criteria for leadership and character.”
Sridhar attributes much of her motivation to her supportive parents and competitive siblings.
“Every single person in my family is always trying to be the best,” Sridhar said. “My parents both gave me a lot of attention and support. Whenever I developed interest in things, they always gave me the opportunity to do them.”
While still at UM, Sridhar worked with Shalala, who served as Secretary of Health and Human Services under the Clinton administration.
“We spent some time this spring exploring issues of health policy,” Shalala said to the Associated Press [AP]. “Who knows, she might be the secretary of Health and Human Services someday.”

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...