World-renowned researcher to head School of Nursing

Major changes are already underway for the School of Nursing as UM announced in April 2003 that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., FAAN will be the new dean of the school.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo will take on her new role this summer where she will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a news release. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
Before coming to Miami, Dr. Peragallo taught as an associate professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and served as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing. She also taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida.
A native of Chile, she graduated in 1984 with a doctorate from the University of Texas School of Public Health. Her accomplishments include being a Fellow American Academy of Nursing [FAAN] member and serving as President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses. She was also a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo was present on campus Apr. 28 as the School of Nursing broke ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, which is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2004.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” Dr. Peragallo said in a news release. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...