World-renowned researcher to head School of Nursing

Major changes are already underway for the School of Nursing as UM announced in April 2003 that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., FAAN will be the new dean of the school.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo will take on her new role this summer where she will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a news release. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
Before coming to Miami, Dr. Peragallo taught as an associate professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and served as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing. She also taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida.
A native of Chile, she graduated in 1984 with a doctorate from the University of Texas School of Public Health. Her accomplishments include being a Fellow American Academy of Nursing [FAAN] member and serving as President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses. She was also a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo was present on campus Apr. 28 as the School of Nursing broke ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, which is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2004.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” Dr. Peragallo said in a news release. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...