World-renowned researcher to head School of Nursing

Major changes are already underway for the School of Nursing as UM announced in April 2003 that Nilda Peragallo, R.N., Dr.P.H., FAAN will be the new dean of the school.
An internationally recognized researcher on HIV and AIDS among Hispanic populations, Dr. Peragallo will take on her new role this summer where she will also have a faculty appointment at the School of Medicine.
“Professor Peragallo is an accomplished scholar who will strengthen the research activities of the School of Nursing,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a news release. “Her areas of expertise and leadership make her a great fit for the University of Miami and for our community.”
Before coming to Miami, Dr. Peragallo taught as an associate professor at the School of Nursing at the University of Maryland and served as interim chair of the Department of Behavioral and Community Nursing. She also taught at the nursing schools at University of Illinois, University of Pennsylvania and University of Central Florida.
A native of Chile, she graduated in 1984 with a doctorate from the University of Texas School of Public Health. Her accomplishments include being a Fellow American Academy of Nursing [FAAN] member and serving as President of the National Association of Hispanic Nurses. She was also a Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Nurse Scholar while at the University of Pennsylvania from 1989-91.
Dr. Peragallo was present on campus Apr. 28 as the School of Nursing broke ground on its new home, the $19 million state-of-the-art M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education, which is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2004.
“I am thrilled to be joining the University of Miami at such an opportune time,” Dr. Peragallo said in a news release. “I look forward to working and doing research in a diverse community.”

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...