UM students volunteer and make a difference

Community service can be addictive. The feeling of seeing the difference students have made in other people’s lives is the most unbelievable feeling around.
The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center has a lot to offer new students, and this year will be particularly exciting.
The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. The center offers students the opportunity to begin community service, or to continue in community service similar to that which they’ve have already done. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC can connect students to a variety of placements addressing a spectrum of social issues. The center also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find the perfect volunteer setting.
The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Their focuses run the whole gamut of service, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer awareness and AIDS/HIV awareness.
Student organizations are always looking for new faces, and many of the organizations will work around student schedules.
The VSC also features a tracking system that helps students keep track of the hours they have volunteered at UM. The center’s staff creates the file, updates the forms and writes letters at the students’ request stating how much and what type of community service they have completed. Students only need to turn in a simple form.
For more information, stop by the Butler Volunteer Services Center in room 240 of the UC, or call 305-284-GIVE.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...