UM students volunteer and make a difference

Community service can be addictive. The feeling of seeing the difference students have made in other people’s lives is the most unbelievable feeling around.
The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center has a lot to offer new students, and this year will be particularly exciting.
The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. The center offers students the opportunity to begin community service, or to continue in community service similar to that which they’ve have already done. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC can connect students to a variety of placements addressing a spectrum of social issues. The center also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find the perfect volunteer setting.
The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Their focuses run the whole gamut of service, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer awareness and AIDS/HIV awareness.
Student organizations are always looking for new faces, and many of the organizations will work around student schedules.
The VSC also features a tracking system that helps students keep track of the hours they have volunteered at UM. The center’s staff creates the file, updates the forms and writes letters at the students’ request stating how much and what type of community service they have completed. Students only need to turn in a simple form.
For more information, stop by the Butler Volunteer Services Center in room 240 of the UC, or call 305-284-GIVE.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...