UM program molds effective leaders

One of the unique things about UM is it provides its students with the opportunity to participate in many different leadership programs, events and activities that help build strong resumes and professional skills.
The Leadership Institute at UM has been used as a tool by students seeking to improve their leadership goals and abilities. The program offers a Leadership Clearinghouse and Resource Center where students can participate in different programs and workshops. It also offers a library where students may check out different books, audio and videotapes, journals and articles.
Throughout the year, UM offers leadership summits, one-day programs put on by the Leadership Institute. The summits offer various interactive workshops that bring students together to share various leadership ideas.
Every student who attends a summit is automatically put into the Leadership Certificate Program. This 40-hour certification program is designed to allow busy students flexibility and choice while still ensuring a challenging and meaningful experience. Students have the option of choosing between two-hour workshops and weekend leadership training sessions. They can also elect to “transfer” credits from the leadership training not associated with the Institute, such as Greek life training, resident assistant training, orientation leader training, club officer training, and more.
Last semester’s workshops included “Recognizing Your Resources”; “Cross Cultural Awareness”; “Rewards and Recognition”; “Beyond Empowerment”; “Creating a Sense of Ownership” and “Retreat Planning”.
Seniors who have been involved both on and off campus have the option of taking Senior Reflections, a five-week, non-credit course originated by Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. The course provides an opportunity for students to reflect upon their past leadership roles and share how these experiences have contributed to who they are morally, civically and ethically.
For more in-depth information on the various activities and programs offered by the Leadership Institute, visit http://www.miami.edu/leadership-institute or e-mail them directly at student-activities@miami.edu.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...