UM program molds effective leaders

One of the unique things about UM is it provides its students with the opportunity to participate in many different leadership programs, events and activities that help build strong resumes and professional skills.
The Leadership Institute at UM has been used as a tool by students seeking to improve their leadership goals and abilities. The program offers a Leadership Clearinghouse and Resource Center where students can participate in different programs and workshops. It also offers a library where students may check out different books, audio and videotapes, journals and articles.
Throughout the year, UM offers leadership summits, one-day programs put on by the Leadership Institute. The summits offer various interactive workshops that bring students together to share various leadership ideas.
Every student who attends a summit is automatically put into the Leadership Certificate Program. This 40-hour certification program is designed to allow busy students flexibility and choice while still ensuring a challenging and meaningful experience. Students have the option of choosing between two-hour workshops and weekend leadership training sessions. They can also elect to “transfer” credits from the leadership training not associated with the Institute, such as Greek life training, resident assistant training, orientation leader training, club officer training, and more.
Last semester’s workshops included “Recognizing Your Resources”; “Cross Cultural Awareness”; “Rewards and Recognition”; “Beyond Empowerment”; “Creating a Sense of Ownership” and “Retreat Planning”.
Seniors who have been involved both on and off campus have the option of taking Senior Reflections, a five-week, non-credit course originated by Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs. The course provides an opportunity for students to reflect upon their past leadership roles and share how these experiences have contributed to who they are morally, civically and ethically.
For more in-depth information on the various activities and programs offered by the Leadership Institute, visit http://www.miami.edu/leadership-institute or e-mail them directly at student-activities@miami.edu.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...