Tips to Enhance Adjustment to College Life

1. Learn how to manage your time and money.
2. Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
3. Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job on campus. Active students are usually happier and are better able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
4. Communicate with your family regularly and, if possible, schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
5. Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
6. Just in case, purchase a health insurance policy that includes mental health emergencies and ample local coverage.
7. With your new freedom come potential dangers such as drug and alcohol abuse, date rape, and sexually transmitted disease. Educate yourself about these problems this summer so that you can plan what’s best for you before you act.
7. Participate in a systematic, but moderate, exercise program at the Wellness Center. It’s good for the mood. Healthy eating and sufficient sleep also can help.
9. Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...