Student health center provides convenient and friendly services

Many new students have been seeing the same family physician for many years, so it’s not unusual for them to be hesitant about receiving medical care at an unfamiliar location. Fortunately, the staff of the Student Health Center goes out of their way to make students feel comfortable.
Most full-time students, all international students and all other students who have paid the University Fee are eligible for care at the Health Center. Most routine services are available at no charge. Medical care is provided by board certified physicians, physician’s assistants, and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries and provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses.
In addition to providing primary care services, the Health Center provides, specialty care including women’s health and orthopedics, x-ray, lab services, advice on health related issues and referral to outside medical specialists when necessary. Students do not need an appointment to see one of the primary care providers. Waiting times are generally shortest in the early morning.
The Pharmacy is conveniently located on the second floor of the Health Center. The friendly staff can fill prescriptions for students while they wait, although many students prefer to drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication. The Pharmacy accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and other off campus providers. Various over-the counter medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, condoms, and other products are also available at competitive rates. The pharmacy accepts Master Card, Visa, checks, cash and Cane Cards.
All students are required to obtain adequate health insurance while attending the University. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Health Center is added to each student’s fees. Students DO NOT need to be enrolled in the Health Center sponsored insurance plan to receive care. Domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request a fee waiver by completing a Cancellation Form at or prior to registration. The deadlines to submit a waiver request are September 15 for the fall semester and February 15 for the spring semester.
New students also need to provide proof of immunization against measles and rubella by submitting an Immunization Compliance form to the Health Center prior to registration. In addition to the required immunizations, immunizations against hepatitis B, varicella (chicken pox) and diphtheria/tetanus are recommended. International students must also submit proof of tuberculosis testing [PPD] within 12 months prior to registration.
Students should also be informed about the availability of immunization against meningococcal meningitis, a rare but potentially fatal bacterial infection that appears to be more common among college students who live on campus. The State of Florida requires that all students living in on-campus housing either document receipt of both meningitis and hepatitis B immunization, or sign a waiver stating that they have received relevant information and have chosen not to be vaccinated. Additional information about this requirement is available from the Department of Residence Halls.
The Health Center staff is happy to assist students with any of their medical needs or address any insurance questions. Additional information is available at www.miami.edu/student-health, or can be obtained by contacting the Student Health Center at studenthealth@miami.edu or (305) 284-5927.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...