Research and creativity aboundent at UM

The UM Research and Creativity Forum presents the opportunity for both graduate and undergraduate students representing all of the departments on campus to display their work and be recognized for their achievements.
“It’s an opportunity for students to showcase their work, whether a scientific research study put together with the help of a faculty member, or a creative work,” Dr. Lydia Barza, interdisciplinary studies program specialist who worked to combine the undergraduate and graduate forums, said.
The Graduate Student Association [GSA] first conceived the idea of a research and creativity forum in 1994 to give graduate students an opportunity to display their research to the UM community. This April, the GSA collaborated with the undergraduate student organization Inquiry: The Research Connection, to create a combined research and creativity forum that would serve the entire student body.
Inquiry is designed to encourage undergraduate students to explore research opportunities and has previously held its own forum for undergraduate students.
Jim Fatzinger, director of graduate enrollment, said the forum is beneficial for both graduates and undergraduates.
“We want to give graduates and undergraduates an opportunity to display their work,” Fatzinger said.
The forum is a consecutive two-day event, with the first day involving the display of the work. On the second day, a banquet is held to honor all the students involved and to award the students for their achievements.
This year, the forum introduced 55 undergraduate abstracts, a 50 percent increase from the year before. These numbers, according to Fatzinger, demonstrate the growing interest in the forum from undergraduate students.
Caroline Caperton,an undergraduate student who participated in the Forum, felt that she gained valuable knowledge while conducting her research and participating in the forum.
“I’m amazed at how diverse the subjects of study are at UM, and just how many students, both graduate and undergraduate, are involved in research at such intensive levels,” she said.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...