Research and creativity aboundent at UM

The UM Research and Creativity Forum presents the opportunity for both graduate and undergraduate students representing all of the departments on campus to display their work and be recognized for their achievements.
“It’s an opportunity for students to showcase their work, whether a scientific research study put together with the help of a faculty member, or a creative work,” Dr. Lydia Barza, interdisciplinary studies program specialist who worked to combine the undergraduate and graduate forums, said.
The Graduate Student Association [GSA] first conceived the idea of a research and creativity forum in 1994 to give graduate students an opportunity to display their research to the UM community. This April, the GSA collaborated with the undergraduate student organization Inquiry: The Research Connection, to create a combined research and creativity forum that would serve the entire student body.
Inquiry is designed to encourage undergraduate students to explore research opportunities and has previously held its own forum for undergraduate students.
Jim Fatzinger, director of graduate enrollment, said the forum is beneficial for both graduates and undergraduates.
“We want to give graduates and undergraduates an opportunity to display their work,” Fatzinger said.
The forum is a consecutive two-day event, with the first day involving the display of the work. On the second day, a banquet is held to honor all the students involved and to award the students for their achievements.
This year, the forum introduced 55 undergraduate abstracts, a 50 percent increase from the year before. These numbers, according to Fatzinger, demonstrate the growing interest in the forum from undergraduate students.
Caroline Caperton,an undergraduate student who participated in the Forum, felt that she gained valuable knowledge while conducting her research and participating in the forum.
“I’m amazed at how diverse the subjects of study are at UM, and just how many students, both graduate and undergraduate, are involved in research at such intensive levels,” she said.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...