Miller becomes star on the rise

The 2002-2003 women’s golf season was full of up and downs. There were bright points, like the team’s victory on Oct. 29 at the Georgia State Invitational, but overall, the team could not keep that momentum throughout the season.
However, if there was one positive that was constant throughout the entire season, it was the emergence of sophomore Tina Miller. Miller ‘s highlight may have been when she stormed back from a five stroke deficit in the final nine holes to earn herself a share of the Big East championship. That effort by Miller helped the Hurricanes earn second place in the tournament behind host team Notre Dame. In addition, Miller’s solid outing earned her a trip to the NCAA Regional Championship.
At this tournament, though, Miller fell behind again and ran out of comebacks. After an opening round 74, Miller came back with a solid 72 in the second round to move into a tie for 18th going into the final day. However, a closing round 75 would place her 26th overall and end her successful run for the season. She will be a junior next season and will have two more chances to capture the NCAA Regional Championship.
Last year, Camilla Hilland the ‘Canes surprise, qualifying for the NCAA Regional Championship. Hilland’s junior season was not as successful, but it was far from a complete failure. Hilland captured the Lady Panther Intercollegiate Championship in late October, and at one point, was ranked 18th in the nation. Hilland struggled down the stretch though, and was not able to earn a trip back to the NCAA Regional Tournament, where she tied for 34th a year ago.
Miller and Hilland are the only ‘Canes to qualify for the regional tournament since 1998, and as teammates next season, things are looking up for women’s golf in South Florida These two players could be the best one-two combination in the Big East, or maybe even the nation. If Miller and Hilland can keep improving and put up even better 2003-2004 campaigns, the ‘Canes will not only be looking at a Big East Championship, but possibly more, both for themselves and the team.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...