Miller becomes star on the rise

The 2002-2003 women’s golf season was full of up and downs. There were bright points, like the team’s victory on Oct. 29 at the Georgia State Invitational, but overall, the team could not keep that momentum throughout the season.
However, if there was one positive that was constant throughout the entire season, it was the emergence of sophomore Tina Miller. Miller ‘s highlight may have been when she stormed back from a five stroke deficit in the final nine holes to earn herself a share of the Big East championship. That effort by Miller helped the Hurricanes earn second place in the tournament behind host team Notre Dame. In addition, Miller’s solid outing earned her a trip to the NCAA Regional Championship.
At this tournament, though, Miller fell behind again and ran out of comebacks. After an opening round 74, Miller came back with a solid 72 in the second round to move into a tie for 18th going into the final day. However, a closing round 75 would place her 26th overall and end her successful run for the season. She will be a junior next season and will have two more chances to capture the NCAA Regional Championship.
Last year, Camilla Hilland the ‘Canes surprise, qualifying for the NCAA Regional Championship. Hilland’s junior season was not as successful, but it was far from a complete failure. Hilland captured the Lady Panther Intercollegiate Championship in late October, and at one point, was ranked 18th in the nation. Hilland struggled down the stretch though, and was not able to earn a trip back to the NCAA Regional Tournament, where she tied for 34th a year ago.
Miller and Hilland are the only ‘Canes to qualify for the regional tournament since 1998, and as teammates next season, things are looking up for women’s golf in South Florida These two players could be the best one-two combination in the Big East, or maybe even the nation. If Miller and Hilland can keep improving and put up even better 2003-2004 campaigns, the ‘Canes will not only be looking at a Big East Championship, but possibly more, both for themselves and the team.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...