Individual success found by several track stars

Track and field is not the most heralded sport in America. However, this season, it became one of the most successful sports at the University of Miami.
This Hurricanes’ success was largely due to individual standouts in particular events. On the men’s side, Terrell Walden won the men’s 100 meter dash with a time of 10.67 seconds. Walden had also won the 60 meter indoor championship earlier this season, and in doing so, became just the seventh sprinter in Big East history to win both the indoor and outdoor sprint championships in the same season.
This success was matched by the ‘Canes 4 x 100 meter relay team, which Walden was a part of. Walden ran the second leg of this sprint, which the ‘Canes won with a time of 40.55 seconds, qualifying them for the NCAA Regionals. Roscoe Parrish, who also serves as a wide receiver on the UM football team, finished second in the 100 meter dash with a time of 10.85 seconds and was a part of the victorious relay team as well. He also scored in the 200-meter dash with an NCAA Regional qualifying time of 21.13 seconds, placing him second in the event. Junior Shaun Taylor finished fifth in the 100 meter dash with a time of 11.01.
As a team the ‘Canes finished ninth in the Big East championships, but the significant individual standouts made the season well worth watching.
On the ladies side, there were even greater individual performances. The ‘Canes won their fifth Big East championship in the last six seasons, thanks to great performances by several team members, including All-American Charlette Greggs. Greggs won the 200 meter, 400 meter, and ran the 2nd leg of the winning 4×100 meter relay team for UM. The Hurricanes, who trailed Notre Dame by four points heading into the final day of competition, won seven events on Sunday in route to 166 points, the most in a Big East Championship since Notre Dame in 1984.
This success allowed the #19 ranked ‘Canes to advance to the Regional Championship. In this meet, Miami finished fourth overall, thanks in large part to another great performance by Greggs, who repeated her earlier feet by capturing the 400-meter title. Also, Kitoya Carter, a junior All-American, won the triple jump, and sophomore Lauryn Williams qualified for the NCAA Championships in the 100 meter dash with a school record time of 11.20 seconds.
In the NCAA Championships, the ‘Canes found more success. Williams took third at the NCAA Championship in the 100 meter dash with a time of 11.31, marking the best finish ever by a Hurricane in this event. Greggs finished eighth in the 400 meter event/
Greggs, Williams, and Jamillah Wade advanced to the USA Track and Field Championships in California in late June. In this competition, both Greggs and Wade were eliminated in the qualifiers of their races, the 400 meter and the 400 hurdles respectively. However, Williams would advance and finish seventh overall.
Both track and field teams had individual success and the women’s squad saw team success as well. The track and field teams show no sign of slowing down, so expect big things in 2003-04.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...