Improvements make parking on campus convenient

Most students will agree that parking at any university can be a big headache but, with UM’s Parking Management Plan, those days may be over.
UM’s Parking Management Committee has provided a plan to accommodate students and faculty. This plan was implemented in March 2002 and, according to Charles W. McConnell, director of parking and transportation services, the project is essentially completed.
This project includes the construction of new surface and garage parking spaces, which will have 1,600 additional parking spaces.
The Ponce de Leon parking garage, located at 5665 Ponce de Leon Blvd., near the Mark Light Stadium, was recently under construction. Two additional floors with 424 additional spaces have been added. The Ponce garage now has a total of 1,052 spaces and has been converted from standard to discount parking.
There has also been construction of both the Pavia Garage, near the Health Center, and the Mahoney/Pearson Garage adjacent to the residence hall. Both garages have security facilities, information booths and blue light emergency phones.
However, the garages have come with a price tag.
“The cost of permits will increase by eight percent next year,” McConnell said. Discount parking permits are available for students, faculty and employees and will be $200 annually. The standard student, employee or faculty parking permit is $298.
Although discount parking permits are available on a first-come, first-served basis, the Parking Management Plan has provided more convenient parking so that students and faculty can save money.
UM also provides the Hurry’Cane Shuttle during the fall and spring semesters and is available to students, faculty, staff and visitors free of charge.
“In the future, we are looking into modifying shuttle routes and having more shuttle shelters,” McConnell said.
“Even though parking gets frustrating on campus, UM has provided different alternatives and options to get around,” Chaunielle Brown, junior, said.
The Parking Department and WVUM-FM 90.5 [UM’s student-run radio station] also provide a parking lot update available hourly on the half hour between 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. on class days.
While visiting the campus, visitors can get a temporary visitor parking pass in the lobby of the Ponce Garage or near the elevator at the new Pavia Garage from a vending machine. Visitors can also purchase a pass at the Info Desk in the UC; these passes are available for $5 a day.
To obtain a permit for parking go online to http://easy.miami.edu. On the site, there is an application and permit information. Permits are also sold in the parking office on campus beginning in early August and throughout the rest of the year.

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...