Employment opportunities abound on campus

Working on campus afford opportunity to get experiences they can have outside the classroom
Message is need to give that through working they can get good experiences. They need to give that dome thought’
Jobs not necessarily major-related, but will learn skills that they can apply to their careers.
No longer will a 4.0 goagpa land you a good job. Have to prove you’ve been exposed to working, developed interpersonal skills; wonderful thing about working at um is it exposes you to world of diversity on the job. Regardless of whether you work on campus or off campus.
Not need-based.
MC jobs and students are matched
Working off campus
Strongly suggest freshmen start working on campus with their schedule s that gives them flexibility. adapting to new life and employers know that.
On campus programs: UM is unique in that it doesn’t provide just one program – realizes students come in with different backgrounds, goals and with that in mind students can choose what they want to do. Mc program is designed for freshmen that have already had some experiences in working, and want to continue to develop skills and want to take responsibilities and accept commitment.
All freshmen are invited to participate
Based on info they receive they choose to apply deadline is June 15
Selection committee looks at applicants and selects them that have self-reported desire to develop skills and a desire to get job to get more reasonability than typical student job. And willingness to attend professional workshops and other support services.
Only freshmen are invited to participate because nature of program is to track skill development throughout the four years.
After 12 years program has won two national awards one from Sallie Mae and the other (to come)
At this point MC is working to find your match with employers that have requested a student like you. You’ll be receiving your referral very shortly. Need to come to orientation (look in orientation booklet or online) For MC students; you’ll probably already have contacted your employer. For other students we recommend they get here on campus and start making phone calls for prospective employers once they have their class schedules.
Advisor is Susie Picar MC coordinator
Different option
Largest program is FWSP avail to students who qualify through financial aid. Biggest program on and off campus oppsortunities available. Lots of flexibility with student schedules. Aim of the program is to afford student additional finances to attend the university, doesn’t mean it doesn’t provide good career development oppsortunities as well.
Some MC students qualify for FWSP. Considered one job a MXC job funded through FWSP.
This is need based.
Program works for students who just need a job work a few hours typically between 10-15 hours, students look for jobs on their own through EASY web site or bulletin board outside office of student employment 37K.
Student Assistant
For students who didn’t apply or get accepted to MC and for those who don’t qualify for FWSP, there are jobs posted under the student assistant program. Mostly temporary jobs if on campus but are also opportunities off campus in jobs that are usually close enough to the university so students can get there by walking r using public transportation. Jobs are posted on EASY system for this.

All programs need to bring these documents:
Very important to bring documents from home as you get ready to get a job. Most students can bring in social security card AND picture ID, like a driver’s license OR US passport or alien registration card, very important you bring that.

Ariana Ramil, student employment advisor for other two.
Maria Pavon associate director will help with off campus opportunities.

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...