Dorsey ends his career among best UM QB’s

Football pundits can say what they want about Ken Dorsey, but as a Hurricane the numbers don’t lie, and his fans will remember him as a winner.
Despite never getting the Heisman Trophy he may have deserved, or hearing scouts criticize his arm, Dorsey never stopped winning games for the ‘Canes.
The San Francisco 49ers draftee ended his career with a record of 38-2, which is unmatched in college football history. Dorsey set Big East records for touchdown passes, passing yards, pass completions, and pass attempts.
Last season Dorsey shared Big East Offensive Player of the Year honors with Willis McGahee, and is a three-time conference All-Academic Team member. The list of accomplishments for Dorsey goes on and on.
Unfortunately for Dorsey, his career did not end the way he had hoped. After winning the national title in 2001, the Hurricanes looked poised to repeat at the Fiesta Bowl in Tempe, Arizona, heading into the title game with a 12-0 record.
What the ‘Canes did not expect, however, was the dominance of Ohio State’s defense in the double overtime thriller. The Buckeye’s defense, combined with costly turnovers and a questionable call by official Terry Porter led to a shocking 31-24 upset victory over the ‘Canes. To make matters worse for Dorsey, the signal-caller’s last game may have been his worst as a Hurricane.
Dorsey threw two costly interceptions, lost a fumble, and was sacked four times. The humbled quarterback did not point fingers after the loss.
“I take all the responsibility for the loss,” Dorsey said after the game. “If I didn’t turn the ball over we would have been in great shape to win our second national championship.”
The game will go down as one of the greatest ever to be played, but the pain of losing his final game left Dorsey with little concern about history.
“We’d be able to appreciate the game a lot more if we were on the winning side,” Dorsey said.
Because the Fiesta Bowl was the last game Dorsey played for the Hurricanes, fans may not remember all of the accomplishments of his senior season. In 2002, Dorsey compiled career highs in yardage, completions, touchdowns, and attempts. He led the conference in passing yardage, total offense, and pass efficiency.
Some of the highlights of Dorsey’s season included passing for 300 yards against Virginia Tech to clinch a berth in the Fiesta Bowl, a 16-25, 345 yard performance against Syracuse, and a career-high 422 yards against West Virginia, a game that put Dorsey back in the Heisman race.
Dorsey’s poor performance in the Fiesta Bowl combined with shaky pre-draft workouts may have hurt his draft status, as he was not picked until the final round by San Francisco. That may have been a blessing in disguise for Dorsey, however, as the 49ers are thin on QB’s to back up starter Jeff Garcia. Hurricane fans can assume that Dorsey will be itching to get a chance to play for the 49ers, and continue to win games, like he did in college.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...