Counseling Center offers help with college adjustment

As students prepare to enter UM, they may eagerly anticipate unprecedented educational opportunities and Miami’s rich cultural diversity. At the same time, however, they will also be facing many challenges in dealing with their newfound freedom.
Here are ten tips from the Counseling Center designed to enhance students’ adjustment:
Learn how to manage your time and money.
Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job. Active students are usually happier and more able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
Communicate with your families regularly and, if possible, schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
Just in case, purchase a health insurance policy that includes mental health emergencies and ample local coverage.
With your new freedom come potential dangers such as drug and alcohol abuse. Educate yourself about these problems this summer so that you can plan what’s best for you before you act.
Participate in a systematic, but moderate, exercise program at the Wellness Center – it’s a great stress reliever. Healthy eating and sufficient sleep also can help.
Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.
Smile!
Oftentimes, there can be bumps in the road, and the Counseling Center is available to help smooth them out. Our staff consists of professionals from the fields of psychology, psychiatry, and social work. We also feature an accredited predoctoral psychology internship program.
Here are some of our major services:
Group programs to give students the opportunity to talk with their peers about common challenges such as relationships, anxiety, depression, eating issues, and stress.
Short-term personal counseling, with depression, anxiety, family conflict, eating disorders, and relationship issues being frequent student concerns
Career testing for students uncertain of a major or occupational goal
Academic counseling for issues like test anxiety, learning disabilities, and poor time management
Psychiatric consultation for students obtaining regular counseling at the Counseling Center. Our psychiatrists do not prescribe controlled substances, including stimulants.
In some instances, students go off campus for their mental health services. Since the Counseling Center staff is very familiar with specialists in the Miami community, we are happy to provide referrals to students who come to the Counseling Center to tell us about their needs.
Weekday hours are 8:30 a.m to 5 p.m., and appointments can be made by contacting 305-284-5511 or stopping by the Counseling Center at 21R, Center for Student Services, directly south of the Pavia Garage. Counseling is ordinarily confidential.
For additional useful tips about many college adjustment issues, go to our web site at http://www.miami.edu/counseling-center and click on self-help resources.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...