An opportunity too good to PASS up

The first few days on campus are a flurry of activity for incoming freshmen and transfer students as they register for classes, take care of last-minute financial aid details, move into housing, and begin orientation sessions.
Both new and transfer students are treated to a very thorough orientation program which serves to introduce them not only to UM’s academic expectations, but also to give insight into extracurricular opportunities as well. By the time the orientation activities come to a close, most students have a pretty good understanding of UM’s campus culture.
However, despite the thoroughness of orientation, questions frequently arise during subsequent weeks. To address this issue, UM has created a program called Pathways to Achieving Student Success, or PASS. PASS is a weeklong series of workshops designed as a way of continuing the orientation process.
This year, PASS Week begins on Sunday, Sept. 21; far enough into the semester to know what questions students need to have answered, yet early enough so that tips on achieving academic and social success can be put into action.
PASS Week offers support for the varying needs of undergraduate students through a variety of workshops, from suggestions for freshman about how to get to know their professors to advice for seniors about preparing for life after graduation. Workshops are developed and led by student leaders, faculty, and staff throughout campus. Last year, workshops introduced both new and continuing undergraduates to a variety of subjects ranging from academics to student wellness.
As an added incentive, students who participate in PASS Week are eligible for a variety of prizes donated by local businesses. Last year prizes such as CD players, books and gift certificates to popular local restaurants and attractions were raffled. Additionally, STA Travel, the on-campus travel agency, has donated a number of travel vouchers as well as a round-trip ticket to Europe.
Be sure to watch for PASS Week advertising for further details about upcoming workshops and available prizes. For additional information, contact Dr. Linda Saumell, director of the Academic Development Center, at 305-284-2800 or via e-mail at lsaumell@miami.edu. Or contact Pam Fischl, assistant to the vice president of Enrollment Management and Continuing Studies, at pfischl@miami.edu or 305-284-5456.

Pass Week 2002
* Time Management
* Overcoming Test Anxiety
* Communicating with
Professors
* Study Techniques
* Advice for Undecided Majors
* Campus Involvement
* High Profile Scholarships and Internships
* Applying for Grad School
* Career Counseling
* Roommate Issues
* Yoga
* Financial Forums

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...