A glimpse into the hectic life of vice-president for Student Affairs

Whether it’s attending meetings with student organizations and administrative units, eating lunch with students while they voice their concerns about the university, or taking her daughter to International Week, Dr. Pat Whitely’s life is anything but ordinary.
“Everyday is different. No two days are ever the same,” Whitely said. “The job is intellectually and politically challenging.”
“I try to be a good role model. Hopefully I’m seen as down to earth,” Whitely said. “I try not to be someone who hides behind the position.”
With the position comes a lot of power, including being the chief appellate officer for the university.
“A lot of what I do is make good decisions for the students,” Whitely said. “There is a lot of problem solving in the job. I like being the person who could potentially sway a decision. I like being able to push the straw a little bit more.”
Currently, Whitely is in charge of 15 separate departments, including Residence Halls and Wellness and Recreation.
“I try not to have a really busy day. I try to be in my office as much as possible,” Whitely said.
In between meetings, Dr. Whitely checks her voicemail, email, makes a couple of telephone calls and reads through stacks of invitations to UM affiliated events.
In her spare time Whitely enjoys working out and playing racquetball.
“Exercise is important because the better that I take care of myself, the more energy I have, which helps me do my job better,” Whitely said.
Despite her busy and often times hectic days, Whitely enjoys every minute.
“I’m a hurricane and I’m proud to be one,” Whitely said.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...