A glimpse into the hectic life of vice-president for Student Affairs

Whether it’s attending meetings with student organizations and administrative units, eating lunch with students while they voice their concerns about the university, or taking her daughter to International Week, Dr. Pat Whitely’s life is anything but ordinary.
“Everyday is different. No two days are ever the same,” Whitely said. “The job is intellectually and politically challenging.”
“I try to be a good role model. Hopefully I’m seen as down to earth,” Whitely said. “I try not to be someone who hides behind the position.”
With the position comes a lot of power, including being the chief appellate officer for the university.
“A lot of what I do is make good decisions for the students,” Whitely said. “There is a lot of problem solving in the job. I like being the person who could potentially sway a decision. I like being able to push the straw a little bit more.”
Currently, Whitely is in charge of 15 separate departments, including Residence Halls and Wellness and Recreation.
“I try not to have a really busy day. I try to be in my office as much as possible,” Whitely said.
In between meetings, Dr. Whitely checks her voicemail, email, makes a couple of telephone calls and reads through stacks of invitations to UM affiliated events.
In her spare time Whitely enjoys working out and playing racquetball.
“Exercise is important because the better that I take care of myself, the more energy I have, which helps me do my job better,” Whitely said.
Despite her busy and often times hectic days, Whitely enjoys every minute.
“I’m a hurricane and I’m proud to be one,” Whitely said.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...