A Farewell to Mike:SG President leaves lasting legacy

As the 2003 academic year nears an end, Mike Johnston nears the end of his Student Government presidency. He leaves with a long list of accomplishments and the satisfaction that under his leadership UM was named Best SG for Private Colleges in the state of Florida by Florida Leader Magazine.
“This award has eluded our school for years. We always came in second,”
Johnston said. “When I found out I was really happy, and it was a great way of ending
out the year.”
Over the past year, as a result of SG efforts, several improvements to the UM campus have been made including establishing 24/7 convenience store hours, increasing Ibis Ride shuttle service, extending Wellness Center and Chartwell’s hours of operation, incorporating a crepe vendor by the UC and installing ice machines in the residence halls.
More recently, students have received HBO and additional cable channels in the residence halls.
“This year our projects have truly been student-centered,” Johnston said, adding that he focused on the details that would make the campus better. “No project or issue was too big or too small.
“My personal philosophy is to always follow through with what you say you are going to do,” he said. “Never say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without knowing if you can do it.”
Johnston says that getting involved on campus has enriched his collegiate career.
“The University of Miami has been my home, and I will never forget how much I have learned or the friends that I made. That is the key to college.”

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...