A Farewell to Mike:SG President leaves lasting legacy

As the 2003 academic year nears an end, Mike Johnston nears the end of his Student Government presidency. He leaves with a long list of accomplishments and the satisfaction that under his leadership UM was named Best SG for Private Colleges in the state of Florida by Florida Leader Magazine.
“This award has eluded our school for years. We always came in second,”
Johnston said. “When I found out I was really happy, and it was a great way of ending
out the year.”
Over the past year, as a result of SG efforts, several improvements to the UM campus have been made including establishing 24/7 convenience store hours, increasing Ibis Ride shuttle service, extending Wellness Center and Chartwell’s hours of operation, incorporating a crepe vendor by the UC and installing ice machines in the residence halls.
More recently, students have received HBO and additional cable channels in the residence halls.
“This year our projects have truly been student-centered,” Johnston said, adding that he focused on the details that would make the campus better. “No project or issue was too big or too small.
“My personal philosophy is to always follow through with what you say you are going to do,” he said. “Never say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ without knowing if you can do it.”
Johnston says that getting involved on campus has enriched his collegiate career.
“The University of Miami has been my home, and I will never forget how much I have learned or the friends that I made. That is the key to college.”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...